Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain in Back of Head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pain in Back of Head

I am a 22 year old female. For the past few months I've been experiencing very sharp pin-point pain to the back of my head on the right hand side. Its about level with the top of my ear, in the middle of the right side of my head. I've also been experiencing the same thing in the middle, top of my head. The pain on the right, back is very pin point and sharp, and it happens at least 3-4 times a day. Also, the same with the middle, top pain, however, that pain feels like its burrowing down into my skull. About a year ago, I went to see a neurologist for constant head pressure that was really driving me nuts, he did an exam on me and told me that I was having tension headaches. I still am suffering from these headaches, on nearly a daily basis, but within the past few months these sharp pains have begun to happen, and to be  honest I'm really worried. Not only that, but they are incredibly annoying. I've made an appointment to see my neurologist, but since apparently they're so popular, I can't get one til next month. Does anyone know what might be going on? Or if there is any reason for me to be concerned? Please post something, I really need some insight that might relieve my mind. Thank you.

Thanks for writing to the forum!
Neck strain, spondylotic changes in cervical vertebrae, bone disease or bad posture should be looked into as the possible causes for the sharp pain. In all probability the pain is due to nerve compression in upper cervical vertebral level. Try to get an appointment for an orthopedic specialist meanwhile. He too can help you with this problem.
The other possibility is ofcourse brain tumor. However do you have any other symptoms except for varying degrees of pain and headaches.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
This could have alot to do with your sinuses, I have had alot of the same symptoms you are having. I didnt even know I had sinus issues untill a smart doctor figured it out, and put me on antibiotics which stopped 90% of the pressure in my head, and I know what you mean by it be being annoying , it also made it hard for me to think clearly.For me it was a combonation of sinusitis and ablood clot in my sinuses, the pian was exactly what you described wiht a sharp pain , in the back right side of the head. If you have medical insurance you should go to the er and have an MRI done . You might want to try putting some vix vapor rub into a some hotsteaming water and breath it in and see if that relieves any of the pressure.....