Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain in Calf and Back of Knee after resting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

For the past 6 weeks I have been experiencing pain in the back of my knee and down my calf muscle in my right leg.
If i rest either with my feet up or down, when I go to stand my leg from my knee to my foot is very stiff and sore. I am unable to kneel as it feels like a massive burst of pain behind the knee into my calf muscle as if i have severly sprained it. When standing, if i transfer any weight onto my right leg, i get pain from the back of the knee right down my calf. It is a constant pain when any weight is bearing on it but if i kneel or bend the leg with weight on it, the pain is like a muscle pull and extremely painful.
When walking there is no pain at all.
I am confused because i have not injured or sprained the leg at all.
I do suffer from sciatica now and again in my back and left leg and the pain is totally different.
I have tried taking anti-inflammatory tablets and this does not ease the pain.
Should I be worried and see a doctor.
Welcome to the forum!
The back portion of the knee which is a depression is called the popliteeal fossa (PF). One of the commonest causes of popliteal pain is a Baker's cyst (or popliteal cyst). This is a fluid-filled lump at the back of the knee.  This is caused by fluid built up under pressure within the knee cavity in response to an inflammatory problem within the knee.
Another condition that can cause popliteal pain is 'popliteus tendinitis'. This is probably what you have. This is an inflammation of the tendon of the popliteal muscle. It causes pain on deep squatting and on standing up. The other such inflammatory tendinitis conditions giving pain at the back of knee on inner or outer side are Hamstrings tendinitis (biceps femoris tendinitis) and Gastrocnemius muscle tendenitis.
Another cause of popliteal pain is injury to the posterior horn of lateral meniscus.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage without examining. Please consult an orthopedic specialist regarding this. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
If the problem is fluid build-up this is removed by the physician on-the-spot with a hypodermic syringe. The fluid extracted is then examined by a lab. This sounds awful (the needle is big!) but it is relatively painless. Look away or close your eyes.
A related discussion, knee & leg pain was started.