Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain in right neck carotid artery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pain in right neck carotid artery

I have been having for about 6 months pain on my right side of my neck, where it gets very intense!  Sometimes it feels like a straight line down to my shoulder & chest. After doing research on carotid arteries it states there is NO SYMPTOMS!  But i have read all the posts here which it seems everyone is having pain.  My doctor examined me and said he does not feel no mass or lump but where i told him where the pain is he says is the "carotid artery"  the pain intensifies up & down in degrees where some days it is sooo excruciating that i went to the ER because i couldn't take it any longer. The doctor at the ER felt it and said it was swollen and said i had swollen lymph node on the right side. But the ENT doctor states in the painful area i showed him it was "carotid artery" area he states.  So, he prescribed "Levaquin"  500mg.  and ordered a "CT Soft Tissue Neck w/Contrast"  which will be tomorrow.  

From the research that i done online it states with the carotid artery there are NO symptoms.  If that is the case, what can be ongoing and painful this long? Because it feels like it comes & then subsides but always letting me know it is still there ???
Sounds like you need to get a second opinion, never hurts to find out what a different doctor says and also you might actually get something solved. I know all about how the docs nowadays are and how they kind of give up on you. Don't give up! please let me know how things go, keep me updated. I hope this was somewhat helpful, feel free to send me messages anytime. more than happy to help you out anytime. Good luck and talk to you soon! Sincerely, Elizabeth
So, does this mean if i have pain then its not my carotid artery???
A related discussion, neck pain was started.