Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain inside chest / rib cage area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pain inside chest / rib cage area

I have had this pain in my chest 6 times in the past 4 days.  The pain is in the lower part of my left rib cage.  It feels more like it is inside/behind the rib cage.  It is really strange because it does not feel like a pulled muscle or anything of that type.  It does not last for a long time.  Usually it only lasts about 5 minutes.  I have had this pain before but usually only once every couple of months.  I have never been to a doctor for it, and am now wondering if I should go.  I am wondering for the life of me what it could be.  It also hurts when I breath out.  This is kind of hard to explain, but if take a deep breath I am fine, but when I am almost done letting it out, I the pain gets worse.  I do not understand it.  I have to just take another breath rather than letting that one out all of the way.  I really do not think it is anything lung related though.  Any help would be great.  

Thank you,

Amanda
Can you be more specific does it wrap around your ribs to back, any other issues associated with it I have same pain but it causes stomach issues and it sits right beside my back and wraps to the front as well as down my back into my lower back and leg and sometimes my left testicle. no fun
i have this sharp pain in my lower left rib kindof in the back and i kinda think it might me lung cancer but im only 19 so i dont know plus i started working out and doing alot of sit ups so i mightve pulled a muscle but its freaking me out because im to young to have cancer and i over work myself so if anyone knows please let me know what it is
I HAVE BEEN GETTING SHARP PAINS IN BETWEEN THE CENTER OF MY CHEST BETWEEN MY RIB CAGES AND ITS A SHARP PAIN IT HURTS TO STRETCH AND COUCH LAUGH AND SIT CERTAIN WAYS. ITS A WEIRD SHARP PAIN IT ALMOST TUCKS UNDERNEATH MY RIB CAGE. IM NOT SURE IF ITS A MUSCLE PAIN OR WHAT BUT I HAVAE BEEN HAVING THIS PAIN FOR ABOUT A WEEK OR TWO NOW.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
With this kind of history it would be wise to have a 12lead EKG when you have pain.

Having said this I would also say that the chances of this being angina or heart attack are less. Two reasons: First it is a constant pain and second it is aggravated by laughing yawning and deep breathing.

Chest pain aggravated by laughing yawning and deep breathing goes more in favor of costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  But we still need to explain the radiation to the arms. I would say that multiple ribs are involved causing radiation to the arms.

The second theory is compression at C8-T1 vertebral level or maybe even higher causing referred pain to arm and chest.

Do you have a history of trauma or accident? Another possibility is that can explain both the pains is pericarditis. It causes chest pain aggravated by laughing yawning and deep breathing and also causes radiation of pain to arms. Again an EKG, heat echo and chest X-ray is required. Any history of fever before this pain started?

Hope this helps. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

My mom has a pain inside her rib cage, not a major pain but she feels as if theres something in there...she also has lower abdomen pain and yesterday the back of her leg (behind the knee) got purple! like a mega bruise! as if her veins has just all turned into 1!!  she had to sit down and wait for it to go away.  whats wrong with her?  can someone help???