Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain just below Sternum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pain just below Sternum

I have had pain and extreme tenderness in an area just below the sternum for about 2 years. It starts at the base of the sternum just where the stomach starts and seems to extend about two inches down towards the stomach. The pain seems to radiate into my left chest wall and causes a feeling of tightness. My doctor has told me to ignore it and it would go away. Easy for him to say right? Does anyone know what could cause this? I have been diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia, but the doctor says it shouldn't hurt to the touch. It is very sensitive to the touch. I play basketball a lot and if the area gets bumped the pain radiates acrossed my whole chest and abdomen.
I would have your spleen checked for enlargement
I agree with last post.  But also explore if maybe you are having gallbladder attacks.  Do you have this after you have ate alot of rich foods.  Also, any doctor that tells you to ignore the pain is a doctor you don't want.  It may also be worth having your heart checked out to make sure that you are not experiencing any problems with it.  I have suffered from periodic pain in the same area, my doctor has told me that it is most likely my gallbladder (he checked my heart).  What I do when I get this pain is to apply a heating pad pressing it into the area.  Also, drink something that is hot.  Sometimes, I will have a bowl of runny Maltomeal which sometimes helps, but mostly heat.  Good luck.
I have had the following test to check the heart and the gallbladder: Ekg, Treadmill, Blood work, Ultra sound, upper GI, Upper Endoscopy. The only thing that has been found so far is a bacteria in my stomach called H Pylori and the small hiatal hernia. I went through 14 days of taking large doses of Antibiotics and Prevacid. I went back for a lab test and they said I was still testing positive for the H Pylori. They gave me a prescription for another 10 days of a different combination of meds. I have been getting mixed messages from my doctor about this bacteria. I have to get rid of it, then I can just live with it, then it can cause stomach cancer, then everybody has it. The main cause of my problems seems to be coming from the area just below my sternum as I described. I can push on it sometimes and it almost feels like something is floating there surrounded my fluid and inflamation (inflammation). It makes squishing sounds too. I'll ask my doctor about checking my spleen as suggested. Thanks