Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Pain on left side of body

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pain on left side of body

I am 31 years old and have been having pain on the left side of my body for a while.  It got worse 2 months ago when I had an "episode".  I was resting and the pain became more severe in my left arm and chest.  It continues to travel down the whole left side of my body.  It went up my neck and left side of my face as well as down my mid section and left leg.  My chest also got very tight.  The soreness has continued since.  It has gotton a little better untill 2 days ago.  The same "episode" happend.  I was laying in bed and the pian became severe again on the left side and along my lower back. My chest also got very tight.   It's like someone drew a line down the center of me.  I am very sore now. Yesterday I felt very tired and out of it.  I had seen a doctor after the first time it happend and he said it was maybe just a pulled muscle.  I'm not sure this is the case since it has happend agian and I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary that day.  My left arm was more painful that day though.  Any thoughts?
Difficult to say without evaluation.

Pain and discomfort on one side of the body may suggest a neurologic disease.  Obtaining brain imaging, as well as looking at the cervical spine (with an MRI) would be reasonable considerations.  

Cardiac causes can also lead to pain traveling down the left arm.  An echocardiogram can be perform to exclude major structural disease.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or neurologist.  If the tests remain negative, going to a physiatrist (rehabilitation MD) can be done to look at possible musculoskeletal causes.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
1 Comment