Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain on right side in my back under ribs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi there, it's been four days now since this pain started. I woke up on Saturday morning thinking that maybe I'd just slept funny, but it's been getting worse. (I woke up crying at 3am this morning crying and struggling to breathe properly. my partner was going to take me to emergency but I'd already been up and taken some Panadeine Forte by the time he realised what was going on, which helped get me back to sleep.) I'm a 22yo woman, currently recovering from a back injury. Outside of that, I have been healthy, with nothing like this before. To describe the pain and where it's coming from is really hard... It's under my ribs, but more in my back. Breathing out is when it seems to hurt the most, and it feels as though my lung is contracting, making my breath catch. I can only sleep on my left side, sleeping on my back is excrutiating, as is sleeping on my stomach or right side. It seems to feel ok on and off throughout the day, with only moments of intense pain and affected breathing. As i said, at first I thought I'd slept funny and maybe jammed a nerve, but after last night I am really concerned. I'm going to the doctor today, but have found they aren't the most helpful (recovery from my back injury has been a tedious process of second and third opinions, with next to no help outside of giving me meds and telling me to rest.) So, I don't have a whole lot of faith that I'll get anywhere, which is why I'm writing here. Right now the pain is minimal, I'm hoping that won't affect how the doctors view this. There is no tenderness or bruises or anything of the sort on my right side, its all originating from under my ribs. Any help from anyone that's had a problem like this before would be so very much appreciated.
Mel
1 Comment
Pain associated with breathing, particularly in the area you described, is most oftentimes lung spasm, better known as pleurisy. The best thing you can do is take an antiinflammatory medication and apply heat to the area. Warm showers will help. It may take a few days to go away but it will go away. Unfortunately it may very well end up being a recurring event.