Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain that takes my breath away

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pain that takes my breath away

For the last couple of months I have had a sudden intense pain in my upper right back and side, I have had a blood test done since for unrelated reasons.  For awhile I would get the pain  every once and awhile when I would move in an awkward way (or lay in an awkward way).  I have now been experiencing it regularly when I stand up or lay on my left side.  It can be so intense that I cant move or breath for a couple of seconds.  The pain is under my ribs in a very specific location but the pain will radiate across my middle back.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Pain under right shoulder blade (upper right back) and inside the ribs at a particular point is usually due to gall stones, duodenal ulcer and liver infection. Hence an ultrasound, liver function test and an upper GI endoscopy is needed for diagnosis. A very small subdiaphragmatic abscess on the right side is another possibility. CT scan can detect this.
I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Take care!
Avatar n tn
Hi, As doctornee medical said, it could be related to gall stones.  I have recently had my gallbladder removed.  The pain associated it with it is very intense - beyond description really.  The pain started in the middle of my back, radiated up into both shoulder blades and also into my stomach.  Vomiting and nausea comes with it as well.  The pain usually only came at night so through the day, you think there is nothing wrong with you but look out when the lights are out.  I would suggest that you speak with your doctor and until you can get an appt, try eating a very low fat diet to see if that helps relieve some of the pain.  For your sake, I hope it is not the gallbladder.  All the best.
You better get check right away. It sounds like you may be having some problems with your kidneys. If not, your body is telling you something is wrong. Pain is our green light to go to the doctor!! Make him/her do a CT Scan. Good Luck!