Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain under jaw caused by sweet and sour flavours

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

As far back as I can remember sweet and sour flavours (when combined and fairly strong) will cause pain just underneath my lower jaw where it connects to my neck. A perfect example would be an apple that's only just barely ripe, or fresh tropical fruit juice. The pain only occurs if the flavour is particularly delicious. If the flavour is unpleasant I won't get any pain.

I used to complain to my mum as a kid but she always thought I was faking so that I wouldn't have to eat my food. Ever since then I haven't put too much thought into it but I have often questioned if it's normal. So far I haven't met anyone else who experiences this (I've asked a lot of people).

The best way to describe the pain would be like a cramp but particularly sharp. It fades slowly over a few seconds like a cramp. It doesn't tend to occur again during the eating session. Once a session is usually it, maybe a second time but not as painful as the first time.

It doesn't bother me enough to go to a doctor about it and it's never caused me any harm. It only put me off my food as a child. As an adult I know the pain will pass in seconds and as I say it only happens once during a feed so it doesn't put me off.

Does anyone know what it might be?
It might be your glands, Mine does it every now and again.
This is actually more common than you think. Here is why the pain exists:
  When you eat something sour your mouth waters. This is saliva being pumped into your mouth by the salivary glands. Two of the main salivary glands, the parotids, are in your cheeks, near the jaw.

The pain is caused by the inability of the glands to discharge the saliva they are producing quickly enough.

This is most likely to be due to over production of saliva or by slight narrowing of the salivary ducts. Bottom line... No worries