Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pain under right breast and burping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pain under right breast and burping

Severe, sudden pain directly under right breast and burping a lot.
Last week I was riding a roller-coaster and I don't think I was strapped in correctly, as I was "lifted" out of my seat fairly high and hard the seat hard when I "landed". When I landed I got a sudden severe pain under my right breast area.
I've been taking pain killers (Tylenol) and antacids (Tums, etc) and that helps for a while, but them the pain comes back.
Any thoughts?
Thank you very much
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If you have been in roller coaster ride and there was this jerk due to loose belt, then it could have been possible there is a cracked rib or a severe muscle pull. Generally diaphragmatic irritation can lead to frequent hiccups or even burps. Liver and gall bladder problems too can irritate the right diaphragm. Also electrolyte imbalance could be the cause. Hence get your serum electrolytes, liver and gall bladder function done.
Chances are also that you have esophageal reflux (GERD), where the food in your stomach is thrown up into your food pipe or esophagus. Another possibility is hiatal hernia, where a portion of stomach herniates into the chest cavity through the diaphragm. Both can cause a discomfort in the chest area, burning, heaviness etc. Irritation of the left diaphragm due to acidity causing stomach distension or due to the hernia can cause hiccups. Fatty food, alcohol etc too can cause hiccups. In GERD, hiccup is body’s mechanism to prevent choking.
Apart from these kidney problems and other metabolic disorders, cancers, infections, certain mental health problems and brain stroke or injury can cause persistent hiccups.
Hope this helps. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Without the roller coaster issue, it sounds much like your gall bladder. Your gall bladder is under your right ribcage and will cause pain and burping. You should have that checked out. Often times if you eat something high in fat it will act up. You might feel like you have a stomach bug or a bad backache too.
Good luck to you.
Thanks so much for answering !
I was thinking along the lines of gall bladder also, but it's the timing that has me wondering. It started within seconds after I hit the seat on that %^*$# rollercoaster after being airborne.
No other stomach issues or backache....I feel great aside from the sharp pain and the annoying burping.
Since I wrote my original question, I saw on another site that anyone thought they had gallstones but turns out they had cracked a rib and it had "triggered" (?) the burping reflex.
I wondering how much validity there is to that theory ????
If anyone has heard of something similar, please advise.
Thanks all !
most likely a pinched nerve sometimes they take a while to heal good luck!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!