Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pancoast's Syndrome
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pancoast's Syndrome

My mother in law was diagnosed with stage 4 small cell lung cancer last week.  Up until this point, no one had a clue as to her condition.  The only classic symptom she had was a slight cough, so I thought.  In the process of trying to educate myself I came across Pancoast's Syndrome.  Now let me explain.  In 2004 my mother in law was having a problem with her arm.  A pain starting at her shoulder and going down her arm to her fingers making them numb.  She went to the doctor he said she had a pinched nerve.  She went to the Chiropractor as suggested by her doctor to get some relief.  She did this for about 6 months with no relief.  She went to see another doctor who told her she had an ailment, which I really don't remeber the name of right now.  He told her that he would have to scrape the nerves in her elbow, ( which is where he said the pain was actually coming from) much like some doctors do for CTS.  She had this done in July 2005.  It did not work.
My question to you is, after the doctor performed all of these tests, did the surgery(with no relief) and then told her she would have to live with it, knowing that she was a heavy smoker,  giving her an antibiotic to make sure her lungs were clear because she had a cough that Pancoast's Syndrome would not have come to mind?
I saw an instant connection.