Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Passing out while driving HELP!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Passing out while driving HELP!!!!

This is the third time it has happened in the past 6 months.

My father-in-law is about 60 years old and in very good shape.
He visits the doctor very regularly and doesn't have any serious health issues at all.

About 6 months ago, he was driving during the middle of the day.  He took a sip of soda and the next thing he knew, he was in a cornfield.  He said, afterward, that he remembered starting to choke on the coke...then he woke up in the field.

After this, about 6 months passed with no recurrences of this, or anything similar.  

2 weeks ago, he was driving through town in the morning.  He took another sip of soda  (he likes soda), and the next thing he knew, he was in someone's front yard.  He had crashed into their car in their driveway.  He says he remembered choking again and then waking up in their front yard.

He went to the doctor and they couldn't find anything wrong.
3 days ago, the EXACT same thing happened...
Driving>>>sip of soda>>>cornfield.

All 3 times in broad daylight
All 3 times taking a drink of soda
All 3 times feeling a choking sensation
All 3 times passing out and wrecking.

Any ideas???  Doctor and wife won't let him  drive and I don't think he is going to listen to them.
We have to find out what is wrong.

Thank you so much!!!
Tags: fainting
It sounds like he stiimulates his vagus nerve and his heart rate goes down and he passes out...it's called vasovagal reaction...ask the doc about this or look it up and see if you think so...then discuss it with his doctor.  good luck
It's weird you mentioned this, about a month ago, i seen this on one of them medical tv shows. The guy was older maybe in his 50's or so, and everytime he took a sip of cold water, he would have a type of seizure..they kept hving him drink the water about 4 times, and each time, he began a seizure. I cant remember what it is called, but there is a term for it, let me look into it and i'll get back to you.. also, has he been checked for any aneurisms in the brain? My friends sister who is in her early 30's, passed out while driving, luckily she was with her b/f who was in the car. She ended up having 4 aneurisms, 3 they snipped but still has one left untreated for now, this has left her blind in her left eye...please check it out, hope this helped ~
Thanks,  We will consult our doctor about the idea.
For everyones sake don't let him drive until problem is resolved.
Hope you get answers.
I don't want to be insensitive, but the first time my father passed out while driving and could have gotten killed or injured or killed on injured another person(s), I would have taken his keys and made an appointment to see a neurologist to start, etc.  Please keep him off the road and get him help via a specialist.  I wish you and him the very best.