Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pelvic Adhesions and Ovarian Cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pelvic Adhesions and Ovarian Cyst

I have had 6 abdominal surgeries.  5 open surgeries over 15 yrs ago (fibroids, endo and hysterectomy) and 1 lap to remove my right ovary 4 yrs ago.   Have severe adhesions and started having bowel issues and more pain 3 yrs ago.  I was referred to a gastro doc 18 mos ago, had a colonoscopy which came back normal, but stiff due to adhesions and an ultasound where they found a cyst on my ovary.  I went back to my surgereon from 4 yrs ago and he won't do surgery because he's not sure it will help due to the adhesions.  He gave me pics from the previous surgery and I've seen two other docs and when they view the pics and the follow up ultra sounds they don't want to do surgery because the cyst isn't growing and the adhesions.  One doctor referred me to physical therapy which seems to help some days, but it's not helping long term.  

I have numbness in my abdomen and in my low back and have bowel and bladder issues and pain and pain in my ribs, hips and legs.  When I do any bending or twisting I get naseous and light headed and am in pain for days afterwards.  If I do too much physical activity that brings up my heart rate I get a pulsating pain on my left side that continues for several hours - almost like a pulsating liquid inside of me.  Also, I have severe itching inside my abdomen.  

The doctors just want to monitor the cyst every 6 months to make sure it's not growing.  When I tell them of the pulsating pain or the itching all three docs have just looked at me bewildered.  Should I be concerned or is it just part of the adhesions causing these bizarre symptoms.  
People who have multiple abdominal surgeries often have chronic symptoms like yours. The more surgeries, the worse the symptoms~~and adhesions never get less...they get worse. Most docs leave ovarian cysts alone, even in women who do not have adhesions. I feel for you~adhesions make for a difficult life.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
I am sorry to hear what you are going through. The adhesions are causing the symptoms especially the pain and the itching sensation you feel could be due to nerve involvement. I am sorry but there is nothing much which can be done. Cutting the adhesions can cause more adhesions to form. Hence a judicious decision is required regarding the approach to be taken. Certain herbs and mucolytic enzymes have been tried with variable success rates for this. You can ask your doctor regarding these. Take care!