Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pelvic pain, hair loss, weight gain, facial hair, and fatigue-help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Even with increased activity and a better diet, I have increasingly gained weight over the past year. So far, 15 pounds. Three months ago I started noticing increased facial hair on my cheeks, around my lips, and on my chin. It is not dark or course, just looks like really long peach fuzz. It was never there before. Over the summer, I went to my beautician and had her dye my hair the same color that she’s been dying it for years and the color wouldn’t take. She put on dark brown and it came out nearly white. She thought that I was pregnant because she said that hormones can have an effect on hair color. I wasn’t pregnant. I decided not to dye it for a few months and haven’t since. Two months ago, my hair started falling out. I do not have bald patches, but it is definitely thinner. I lose about 300-400 strands per day and if I run my fingers through it I get about 50 strands at once. In addition, my periods, which have never been regular and always heavy, have become worse. I don’t clot at all and can bleed for 10 days at a time. Sometimes, I can bleed through two tampons in less than an hour. I have to wear a tampon and a pad at the same time in order to catch it. I am also very very tired all the time. I’ve been having pelvic pain as well and an ultrasound showed some cysts, although the doc was not worried and said they were normal. Three weeks ago, I was driving home from work and started feeling a pain in my abdomen. It was in the lower right ride, but several inches above my pelvis. I laid down when I got home and a few hours later I woke up screaming in pain. The pain was seriously worse than childbirth. It went on for hours and then stopped, but vomiting followed. I did not have a fever. I went to the doctor and they have run a bunch of tests on me. So far, nothing. Here’s the rundown.

- Thyroid level is fine (had two tests by two different doctors)
- possible endometriosis because I’ve had it before so we’ve scheduled a laparoscopy for January but this would not explain the facial hair and weight gain
- hormone level is fine
- iron level is fine
- some cysts show up in the ultrasound but gyn says they are normal “cycle cysts”

These are my symptoms:

- pelvic pain on a daily basis (sharp stabs)
- occasional lower right abdominal pain
- heavy bleeding during periods
- weight gain
- hair loss
- facial hair
- fatigue
- heavy sweating

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am feeling like a hypochondriac now. Oh, and I am 28.
It seems as if your endocrine glands may be "out of whack."
Look for information about Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and see if this matches.
Examples:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycystic_ovary_syndrome
http://www.medicinenet.com/polycystic_ovary/article.htm

Wishing you the best,
Carol

Without examination confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but your symptoms are suggestive of polycystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS).It is a problem in which a woman’s hormones are out of balance.So ovaries develop more follicles than normal every month.Diagnostic tests are 2 hr GTT,serum androgen and testosterone levels,LH-FSH ratio,prolactin levels,TSH levels,17-hydroxyprogesterone levels  and 3D ultrasound done.3 D ultrasound is the golden test for diagnosing PCOS.

I sincerely advise you to consult a gynecologist/endocrinologist and get yourself evaluated for this.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Well, I went in for another ultrasound yesterday and the doctor called me this morning. He said that they had found a fibroid growing on the outside of my uterus. He then said that he wanted to refer me to an OBGYN. (I went to them first.) So I have come full circle. But at least they found SOMETHING. I don't know if this attributes to the hair loss and weight gain however.