Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pelvic pain on the left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pelvic pain on the left side

I've been having lower pelvic pain on the left side for over one year.  It started with referred pain in the thigh and moved to the pelvis.  In addition I have lower back pain on the left side and I also have aching and numbness in the left big toe.  I noticed that when I lift heavy things I get the pain in my thigh which sometimes radiates as far as my knee.  Sex is also painful on the left side and on two occassions I've had a brown discharge during my period.  The pain is worse when I sit or stand for a long time. I have done an MRI which looked at my spine and it came up negative and I've also done an IVP for my kidneys, which also was negative.  My Doc thinks that it might be the obturator nerve and has recommended at CT scan.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what my problem might be.
Maybe this is a gynecological issue?  I had similar pelvic pain for years, and we finally figured out it was ovarian cysts and uterine fibroids (both of which can cause the discharge you describe).

It couldn't hurt to be evaluated by a gyno.  They can do an ultrasound and pelvic exam.  

Just a thought.  Hope it helps.
Thanks, My gyno doesn't think that it is related but I'll go get a second opionion. Much appreciated.
I agree with jprod.....please see your gyn.  Sometimes you can develops cysts and they can press on the nerves in your groin, leg and lower back.  I'd definitely look into it.

can you find out if your MRI included the pelvic region?  MRI is a pretty good evaluator of gynological issues; the CT scan is notoriously iffy for viewing ovaries.
perhaps it might have something to do with your spinal discs, such as bulging, or ruptured. When one is it may press on nerves that can cause pain in legs, hips and even radiate to the pelvic area. These do not always show up on MRI's or CAT scans. Sometimes a discogram is necessary to show up damage.  I have heard that depending on the doctor (usually an anesthesioligist I believe) that this test, (they inject dye into your disk and see how much pressure it holds or if it leaks or bulges) can be very very invasive and painful. the Dr. needs you able to respond and tell them how it feels.  I have had 2 and neither were invasive during the procedure thanks to wonderful Doc, He had me out enough that I was not really aware of it happening but not so out that I couldnt respond. (kind of a truth serum effect). once the procedure was done and meds wore off then it was painful but I had a diagnosis, so it was worth it.
I went to the gyno and did and ultra-sound. she doesn't think it is a gyno problem and hs refered me to a nuero specialist. However she wants me to come back to ensure that it is not complications due to a TL i had a few years ago.  Will keep you all updated as things progress.  Thanks for all the advice.
I have had a complete hysterectomy and I have severe left side pelvic pain and it is worse whenever I sit for long periods of time.
I AM A GUY BUT I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH PELVIC PAIN BUT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I LAY ON MY SIDES FOR LESS THAN 5 MINUTES. I HAVE CRONIC (chronic) LOWER BACK PAIN WHICH ALSO MAKES ME LOSE FUNCTION OF MY LEFT LEG, TO THE POINT I HAVE TO WALK WITH A CANE. SOMETIMES MY LEG IS FINE AND SOMETIMES NOT. BUT ANYWAY MY RIGHT BIG TOE HAS BEEN NUMB AS WELL FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS,AND ALSO MY RIGHT PINKY AND RING FINGER GO NUMB/TINGLE AND THEY SOMETIMES GET STUCK IN ONE POSITION. AFTER ABOUT 2 YEARS OF HAVING BRAIN AND SPINAL TAPS, MRI'S...ETC. A DRUG REHAB (PERSCIBED) CLINIC STUMBLED ONTO ME HAVEING A EXTRA VERTABRE IN MY BACK SO INSTEAD OF HAVING 4 LUBAR VERTABRE I HAVE 6. THE CATCH IS IT HAS BEEN LIKE THAT SINCE BIRTH SUPPOSIDLY FOR 23 YEARS AND FINALLY IT IS BEING A PROBLEM. HALF OF IT IS MISSING AND THE JOINT THAT THE VERT. OVERLAP THERE IS NO CARTILEDGE LEFT FOR IT IS ALWAYS INFLAMMED AND IF I BEND ANYWAY SOMETIMES I HAVE ALL DIFFERENT SYMPTOMS BECASUE  MY NERVE GETS CAUGHT IN THE JOINT WHERE IT IS MISSING AND SOMETIMES THE VERT. SLIDE PASSED EACH OTHER AND LOCK UP. SO I HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFULL HOW I MOVE OTHER WISE IT CREATES LOTS OF OTHER PROBLEM IN MY BODY BECAUSE OF THAT NERVE. I AM CURRENTLY 25 NOW AND FINALLY STARTING TO GET EVERYTHING DOWN.
hi, im 35yrs and have had lower back pain since having my youngest son nearly 8yrs ago. ive had tests and x-rays done over the years and today saw a doctor from the pain clinic. hes told me i have a curve in my spine, that i have spina bifita occulta. this was a shock and a relief as i will now be receiving injections in my back to relieve the pain. i also have pain in my hip. i was under the impression that both were related, but have been told they are not, but the treatment the same. i paniced when he first said spine abifida but having come home and looked it all up on the net i feel much better. i have to loose weight aswell or i will not recieve the injections but its a small price to pay so i can be pain free. i will be looking to the future and retraining for a job thats less demanding on my body than nursery nursing, but its a good chalange. this doctor doesnt no it yet but hes give me new hope for my future. good luck to all in the pusuite of a pain free life.
I have bulging disks on my left side, and I also have mild pelvic pain that hurts the most when I am sitting. At first I thought it was cervic complications, but my pap smear was negative, and there were no signs of infections. As my discs become less painful the pain went away - but I didnt really notice the connection. I recently hurt my back again and my discs were sore, and the pain came back. I assume that the two are connected.
my son has leftsided pelvic pain and a fever 101.7 and he recently got a cut on his back because he broke his light fixture in his room and it came down on him and the cut is a 1/4 in maybe it is infected. the nure prac. said constapation but his bowels are moving just fine. what else could be wrong.