Periodic Chills, Fever
I have been having episodes of bad chills and sometimes a low-grade fever for almost two years. The episodes are always the same and occur every six - eight weeks. I wake up at about 4 am feeling very, very cold.  My head and body ache - it feels just like the flu. I get warmer clothes on and try to sleep.  I have to get up at 6:00 for work and sometimes I'm still freezing.  I've seen my doctor and have had a lot of tests, but no solution yet.  Has anyone out there had experience with this?  Thanks so much.

Without examination confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but it can be due to hypothyroidism,anxiety and panic atteacks,hypoglycemic attacks and hyperhydrosis(excessive sweating).Sometimes, patients who have recovered from a febrile illness continue to experience chills in the convalescence period.

It is advisable to first have the investigations for fever like ESR,complete blood count,blood culture,blood test for malarial parasite,widal test,x-ray chest or sonography to exclude any of the pathologies associated with fever.If negative,then other causes of shivering and feeling cold should be looked for.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.

Thanks a ton for your reply.  I appreciate your list of tests I should have performed.  I have to check my medical records to see what's been covered.  It probably sounds dumb that I don't know what tests I've had, but I got a bit overwhelmed and discouraged. I have a great doctor, so I'm encouraged to go back and keep looking.

I do take a med that can affect thyroid functioning and I get tested for that periodically, but that's one thing that jumped out at me.

Thanks again for your comments.