Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Petroleum Jelly Dependency

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Petroleum Jelly Dependency

I am not finding a good forum for this so I am throwing it out, here.  I've had hemmorhoid problems since I was a late teen.  I'm now 48 years old.  I've got it under control but it is somewhat inconvenient.  When I was younger, I would go to the bathroom, every morning, and use petroleum jelly after the bowel movement.  As the years went by, I found that to keep things running smoothly, I needed to drink some prune juice in the evening, use wipes after a bowel movement, and apply petroleum jelly.  Well, it has gotten to the point that I need to apply the jelly any time that I use the bathroom, not just for bowel movements but after urinating, as well.  I guess that I just need to keep things well lubricated, at all times.  This has gone on for years and it has worked well.  However, this means that I need to carry a tube of petroleum jelly, everywhere I go.  Also, I only wear black pants as it bleeds through clothing and will cause a spot.  I have to worry about what I sit on, too, as it can mark chairs, etc.  Can I get away from using petroleum jelly after all of these years?  

This discussion is related to A Question.....
For goodness sakes, see a surgeon and get the problem taken care of once and for all.

Stop fooling around.

The laser surgery is very helpful. There are other procedures.

Then the problem will be solved. Forever.

It is not "working well". You are losing blood from this leak and the blood loss can be substantial. You need a hematocrit taken.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
I agree with Caregiver. The hemorrhoids have come to a stage where they probably have an ulcer on them that always bleeds. Hence you have bleeding from these hemorrhoids on and off. These may get strangulated and force you into emergency surgery. Hence it would be wiser to consult a doctor immediately, preferably an ano-rectal surgeon and get these removed. Today laser surgery is a good option.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!