Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pinched nerve in neck, chronic.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pinched nerve in neck, chronic.

Hello, I have a pinched nerve in my neck - c1, c2, & or c3. Have been to many doctors, chiropractors, mri's, ct scan, x-rays, accupuncture, meds, now doing physical therapy. Have seen neurologists, neuro-surgeon and still undiagnosed. They just say that for some reason "something" is pinching a nerve but can't find what. I have been on a TENS unit and is about the only thing I get relief from. Pain isn't there 100% of time, but when I move it is present, such as turning my head, looking up or down, when standing back up from bending position, etc. Pain is more intense as day wears on, like more "inflamed" or "raw". What else can I do. Have thought about seeing a different orthopedic doctor or neurologist....any suggestions. Anyone else out there have the same problem/symptoms?
I have a problem. (1) I have had GERD 10 years, I take nexium. (2) I developed a cough, it has been treated with anti-biotics which makes it better, and several different cough remedies. I have had breathing treatments because it always effects my bronchial tubes, i am wheezy in my chest. (3) I have a bad neck which effects the left side of my throat, i am trying to hold off surgery, I have dysphasia a slight case in the upper throat. but the coughing is getting worse followed by these wheezing spells and I feel like i need air, it passes if I relax, I have a sinus drainage sometimes its not so bad. I am out of options and so are the doctors, no one seems to know how to treat this they can't even identify it, but I stay hoarse and still coughing. they say it's a combination of all these things, but does anybody out there hear me I don't feel very well.
when you go to the chiropractor do they work directly on your neck or do they work on your legs/hips?  The pinched nerve could be re-occuring due to your body being out of alignment or even the way you walk.  It sounds like you are at wits-end in trying to figure things out - perhaps try seeing a foot doctor.  

I know my digestive system does not function properly due to a pinched nerve in my lower back.... go figure....  the pinched nerve in your neck could be due to anything below it being out.
Okey dokey, DarleLynne. There are many different reasons for a pinched nerve. The first treatment is the application of an axial traction device. NOT a cervical collar, which causes muscle loss. If nobody has ever suggested this treatment to you, then they all need to go back to butcher and ditchdigger  school. You can purchase these devices without prescription for about $35. Discard the water bag, put a hook in the beam over a doorway and set the thing up so you can lower yourself on a chair and apply GENTLE axial traction (traction upwards in line with the spine). Afterwards you need to perform range of motion exercise THROUGH the limits of pain. An absolute must.  This is counter-intuitive, but every time you go through the limit of pain, the pain will be less.  And take anti-inflammatories.  If your physician goes along, ask him to prescribe some prednisone. Physicians are very reluctant (with good reason) to do so. Try 20 mg the first day, 15mg the next, 10 the next, five the next and then continue on motrin. Explain your plan to him. The reason is you need to "knock down" the inflammation. Orednisone does this. Motrin works, but you will initially need a minimum of 800 mg twice day, broken down into eight 200 mg doses. The store dose is 200 mg. The prescription dose is 800 mg. Do this two days and cut back to 800 mg the third and fourth day and 400 mg for the next week. Then 200 mg.  Long term use of Motrin is hard on the liver but you won't be taking it that long. You need to use the traction device for three or four minutes a dozen times a day for starters. These pinched nerves are also sensitive to osmolality, which increases pressure. Osmolality can be affected by stress and blood sugar levels. Some people suddenly have more arm pain after a jelly donut and the doctors call them crazy. The axial traction device and range of motion exercises are absolutely positively necessary for recovery. Keep yourself well hydrated with electrolytes. X-rays will show nothing, by the way, and don't let them talk you into taking them.
I too was told I have possible pinched nerves in my neck...c1 and c2 being the culprits. I now have a burning sensation in my left jaw, and heavy, dull ache in my chest...located in the upper center area. I also get pain on occasion in my left wrist and forearm. Of course this scares me a little as I have been to the ER twice and sent home saying I have anxiety. I had all the tests done and they show my heart as healthy. I have had most of these symptoms for a year now with the exception of the burning jaw...that's been recent in the past 2 months.
I have been going to a chiropractor for a few months now...it seems to help some but not for very long. He says this is all probably nerve related. I also have arthritis in my neck because I have lost the natural curve in my neck...it's actually starting to curve the opposite way now so this makes for different muscles trying to hold my head up. I always have knotted muscles in my upper back and shoulder area and when I have them worked on it seems to help also.
Some days the pain of what I put up with is awful. I have been wanting to feel "normal" for a year now but have no idea what to do or who to go to.
Any ideas would be appreciated.