Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pinched nerve

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pinched nerve

I went to my doctor earlier this week because of pain radiating from my lower back on the left side all the way down to my toes.  He told me I more than like have a pinched sciatic nerve.  He has ordered a MRI but insurance has not approved it.  I've tried heat and ice on my leg.  It now feels like it is asleep and trying to wake up (pins and needles).  I can however walk on it.  My calf feels like it is tight like when you get a charlie horse and wont relax.  Now my lower left leg from the knee down is ice cold.  It still has color, it is not blue but I dont know if I should try to go to the emergency room or what?  Everything I've read about pinched nerves says that they eventually go away and that you have the pins and needles feeling.   But nothing about it feeling cold.  Has anybody ever had this???  Please let me know
1 Comment

It is true that pain radiating down the leg and tingling,numbness and pins and needles senasations are a feature of sciatic nerve compression or sciatica,but the leg going cold is definitely not a feature of sciatica.It is a feature of peripheral vascular disease esp peripheral arterial disease.It is caused by the obstruction of large peripheral arteries, which can result from atherosclerosis, inflammatory processes leading to stenosis, an embolism or thrombus formation.Thus it can lead to decreased blood supply to legs.

Diagnosis is confirmed by magnetic resonance angiography or Doppler ultrasound.

I sincerely advise you to consult a physician soon and get yourself evaluated for this.Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts.Kind regards.