Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pins and needles in feet while walking

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pins and needles in feet while walking

My feet have just started getting pins and needles when walking, I am 50 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for 35 years but circulation in my feet has been really good.
You have developed diabetic neuropathy, and from here on in have to take special care of your feet. Wear comfortably loosely fitting shoes and only fresh white socks. Never wear socks more than a day.  Inspect your feet daily and have the toenails trimmed by a podiatrist. Immediately see a podiatrist at the slightest infection. And see a podiatrist regularly, in any event. 1000 mg of omega-3 fish oils and a slow-release niacin tablet once a day will help with microcirculation. Take special care to insure your hba1c is within normal limits. Alpha-lipoic acid supplements have been anecdotally recommended to assist in stopping nerve damage. From the standpoint of the literature, the jury is out.
Are you a smoker,drinker,overweight?Exercise?Diet?
Avatar n tn
I exercise reasonably regularly, work off ladders quite a lot fitting and fixing CCTV cameras, I don't smoke, have a reasonable diet, Hba1c is usually around 8.2 and drink moderate amounts, around the 21 to 25 units per week. I am 14 stone and 5ft 10.
Remember that diabetes is a progressive disease, and even if you do everything right, damage from free radicals is cumulative, and it invariably gets a bit worse. Vitamin C helps protect against further free radical damage.  As long as you do your best to keep the diabetes under control there isn't much else to control the neuropathy.