Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pitted edema in lower legs even after weight loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi! Hoping someone can give some guidance. I am a 35 year old woman. For many years, I have swelling in my lower legs/ankles. It usually occurs after I have been on my feet all day (i.e. at work), and it always happens when I am in the heat for any length of time. Often, the swelling will be pitted along the shin bone and near the ankle bones. It occurs in both legs. I was very overweight for a long time (250 on a 5'4" frame), but about a year ago, I lost most of that weight :) (I am now down to 160 and still working on it). I always attributed the swelling to being so heavy. However, I am still having the issue, I am wondering what else could be wrong. I also have spider and vericose veins in both legs, and that is a hereditary issue on my mom's side of the family. Could this problem be related to that? In addition, I exercise 3-4 days a week. Also, I have never had any blood pressure issues, although they do run in my family. I do not have any known heart conditions.
I guess I am just trying to figure out if this is just typical or if I should seek a doctor. In addition, what kind of doctor would I even go to?
Thanks,
GG
Yes, see your  primay care Dr. You could have peripheral vascular disease and get early help. Monitor your salt intake? Do you have any pain in the legs when they're up or resting? varicose veins? Keep it up on the weight loss! Good Job so far, that's a feat!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Pitting edema means there is water retention. Usually conditions of heart, kidney, liver or low protein or severe anemia, which cause ankle and feet swelling, cause both ankles and feet to swell. Hence you will need to get heart function assessed by ECHO and EKG, get kidney and liver function tests done and get a complete blood picture for anemia. Low sodium in blood, hypothyroidism and malabsorption syndromes causing low protein in blood have to be looked into.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!
Thanks. I did have a thyroid test done before I began losing weight, and it was normal. I am trying to limit the salt now because I do consume more sodium than I should.
I do have several vericose veins and numerous spider veins....I tell people that my legs look 20 years older than the rest of me. I do get some minor achiness/throbbing in my legs when I have had a long day. It usually feels the worst in the back of the leg near the vericose vein behind my left knee.