Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Please Clarify

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Please Clarify

I have sorethroat for about 6 weeks now, my doctor has diagonised me and said Its an Viral Infection and my tonsils are partially red. I am currently using antibiotics to cure from last 3 days. I have question here does Lymphnodes & Tonsils are the same?? When people say Lymphnodes are swollen does it mean tonsils??

Please clarify...Thanks in advance

The tonsils are areas of lymphoid tissue on either side of the throat. An infection of the tonsils is called tonsillitis. Most commonly, the term "tonsils" refers to the palatine tonsils that can be seen in the back of the throat.

Like other organs of the lymphatic system, the tonsils act as part of the immune system to help protect against infection. In particular, they are believed to be involved in helping fight off pharyngeal and upper respiratory tract infections.

Like other lymphoid tissue, in case of an infection, the tissue becomes active and therefore becomes swollen.

Hope this helped. You may get more information at; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsil

Best regards
Thanks for the Information, but I havent got the clear picture,Please clarify swollen Tonsills & Lymphnodes are the same?? need exact answer to my question please clarify..

No they are not exactly the same. Lymph nodes is a generic term for collection of lymphoid tissue anywhere in the body, usually subcutaneous. However, Tonsil is a lymphoid tissue in the throat area and is not subcutaneous. Hope this helped. Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsil to get more information.
Hi Dr,

Thanks for the Information..I have got my normal Blood Check up done, I am posting with you the results

Bilogical refernce range
Haemoglobin  16.3g/dl         13-17 g/dl
PCV               47%             40-54%
R.B.C Count   5.6 Milion/ul   4.5-6.5 milion/ul
MCV--- 83.5FL                     76-96 FL
mch      28.7p/g                   27-32 p/g
MCHC   34.4 G/dl                31.5-34.5
WBC Count--9,400 number/ul 4,000-10000 number/ul
Neutrophils----73%                40-75%
Lymphocytes---22%              20-40%
Eosinphills--02%                   1-6%
Monocytes--03%                   2-9%
Platelet Count--2.07lakhs/ cummin   1.5-4 Lakh/Cumn
ESR 1st hour --10mm/hr          0-10mm/hr

I have read in many forums that hign WBC & low Lymphocytes are early symptoms of HIV/Cancer Is it True..Though my results are withing the Bilogical refernce rage Its getting me scared.

Kindly request you to access my Blood reports and kindly let me know If am fine..I am getting scared now, but my doctor was not concerned at any time.except WBC Count..I am now having cold and Cough which i am using Antibiotics to cure.

Your reply would be greatley appreciated.

The blood reports that you have sent are fine and you need not worry - all the values are in the noral range.

What antibiotics are you taking currently?

For you cough and cold you could also try warm saline gargles, steam inhalation, saline nasal drops and some oral antihistamine medications.

Let us know if you need any other information nad post us about how you are doing.

Regards.
Hi Dr.Bhumika,

Thanks for your prompt response Your replies are greatley much  appreciated to ease the anxcitey. Though my Doctors were Saying I need not have to worry on Blood Results as they are fine..But my Iraational thoughts was moving around and was Scared that  have anything related to HIV/Canceras my WBC count was high and Lymphocytes were Low. I was going through google and some of them says It is somwhat related to HIV..Can I have your opinion Is everything fine with me.I was realy scared.

Just to Inform you, I am using Amoxcilin Augmentin 625mg, for Cold Zyorex..Its been 5 days and It looks I am Picking up well now. Doctor has advised me to complete the course for 7 days of Antibiotics..there is 2 days left and hope evrything Picks up well.

Can u suggest me some good medcine for Cold & Cough please?? when ever I cough yellow Flum with Saliva is comming out.

Can u also suggest me what kind of Oral anithistamine medications should I need to use. to let you know I am from India.

You need not be worried about HIV/cancer in your case since the reports do not indicate any of that as yet. Further, you have admitted that you are recovering well and therefore I would ask you to relax and not worry too much.

There are many OTC drugs for cough and cold and most of the well known brands do a good job therefore, you may obtain one from your pharmacist.

Further the yellow phlegm that you have indicated could be due to the bacterial infection and the body fighting it out. You should probably let your doctor know and he may send a sample for culture and sensitivity in case it does not heal well.

There are many antihistamines available in the market too. However, you must understand that one cannot indicate any brand names in this forum. I have a hunch that Zyorex also contains some antihistamines and you can get this cross checked with your doctor.

I am glad that we were able to help you. Please keep posting.
Hi Dr.Bhumika,

Thanks for your response..Its greatley appreciared. You have wriiten your first line as You need not be worried about HIV/cancer in your case since the reports do not indicate any of that as yet. ( Can you tell me "any of as Yet"?? does it mean am I close to HIV/Cancer) with high WBC and Low Lymphocytes??

I would follow up your advise to cure my cold and cough.. Please answer on my Lymphocytes & WBC especially if they are perfect and need not have to worry.
Hi Dr Bhumika,

Could you kindly reply back Pleasee?? Appreciate Your response
when I said the line you have pointed out I only meant to say that the blood reports do not indicate any values which may point towards HIV/cancer. therefore you need not get worried. However, i am assuming that you know how HIV spreads and therefore you would definitely have a reason to believe why you would have been exposed to the virus. since i tell you there is no reason to worry at this point, I am encouraging you to get periodic blood reporting done perhaps once in 3-6 months.
I hope you understand. let me know if you need more clarification

Thanks Dr.Bhumika, much apprecuitead reply from your end which would ease my Anxcitey.Will be in touch with you if need further help regards to my health in near furture..Have a great time.

I am glad that this helped you and cleared your doubts a bit. keep me posted on your health and physical status and if you may have got any tests done for yourself.

hope to hear more from you in the future.
Hi Dr Bhumika,

Hope You are doing good. Thanks for you Prompt response for all my queries. I haven't done Yet any Blood tests done. I Just wanted to ask you aquestion In the morning when I wake up till 1 Hour I feel good but later on the complete day I feel my Head is like blocked, but I am able to do my all works well, can drive my car well, eat well, sleep well, but I am not sure why do I have these blocked head feels somthing uneasiness, Does this called as Malaise?? I have heared Malaise is Symptoms of HIV..I have been Tested for HIV and fortunate it was HIV Negative. Can I know what has been causing this Blocked head for about 5 weeks now??

Appreciate your response.

for your sake let me first define malaise. Malaise is a feeling of general discomfort or uneasiness, an "out of sorts" feeling, often the first indication of an infection or other disease. Often defined in medicinal research as a "general feeling of being unwell".

source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaise.

This is a general definition and explanation and therefore there may be additional symptoms that one may have. This may happen in many disorders and if you had malaise alone the doctor will not suspect HIV as the diagnosis.

i am still unclear though what you mean by a blocked head. could you please elaborate?

Let me know if you need more help
Dear DR. Bhumika,

Thanks for explaining about the Malaise ( Uneasiness/Sick feeling). I dont feel sick but, when I wake up in the Morning I am fine with my Mind is good for about hour, but as the Day Progresses my I feel my Mind is Blocked ( I can say it as reall uneasiness in my Brain/Head)... I had Sinusitues which my ENT Specialist has confirmed, can you tell me will this have adverse effect on my Brain?? I can understand for 1 or 2 weeks but it has been prolonged for now 2 months..I am not sure what is happening with my HEAD/BRAIN? Have u come across case like me in Your Medical History?? sorry to write you this but, the reason for asking is You might be able to guide me for the right Test/Treatment.

My feeling of Disconfort is in Head/Brain only..This is creating lot of Panic in me.

I have browsed through the net that it might be Kidney/Liver disorder disease. Is it True??

What Test do you suggest me. Kindly Advise.

You seem to be suffering from chronic sinusitis where in you could have the symptoms you describe - Symptoms include: nasal congestion; facial pain; headache; fever; general malaise; thick green or yellow discharge; vertigo; blurred vision, feeling of facial 'fullness' or 'tightness' which worsens on bending over; aching teeth, and halitosis.

Chronic sinusitis can be a miserable condition that significantly impairs your quality of life. If you have chronic sinusitis, you may have difficulty breathing through the nose, experience frequent headaches and tenderness in the face or aching behind the eyes. You may also have frequent yellow or greenish discharge from your nose or drainage down the back of your throat.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chronic-sinusitis/DS00232

You should consult your doctor and start appropriate medications including antibiotics, nasal sprays, antihistamine medications and decongestants.

You should try some steam inhalation, warm saline gargles and saline nasal drops to help with your symptoms till you see your doctor.

The chances of this being due to liver or kidney involvement are very rare.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.