Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Please help!

I am a 28 year old female. I am typing in severe pain right now. It has been like this for about 4 hours. It started yesterday and gradually got worse. It is in my upper back, between the shoulder blades, and my neck, mostly. It feels like a vice grip. My muscles keep tensing.the pain radiates to other parts of my body, down my spine, and my muscles feel the need to be stretched, so I twist and move my spine to stretch. What is going on with me?!?!?!

This is called a spasm.   Spasms happen when the muscles tense up - hot and cold compresses and massage help.  Sometimes it is necessary to see a chiropractor.  If you see your doctor he will likely prescribe a muscle relaxer which will also help.
    Sometimes we go into spasm because of anxiety, worry or tensing our muscles.  Sometimes it can also be caused by lifting something heavy.\
     People with fibromyalgia often get spasms.

Hope this was helpful... Wishing you the best
Thanks for your response. I have tried both hot and cold compress and I tried taking a muscle relaxer. I also got a massage from my boyfriend. Nothing is helping. It's like all the muscles in that area is one big knot! All the muscles are tight to the tough, like a stretched rubber band.
I sometimes have these pains as well. Try putting your arms behind your back, clasping your hands, and stretching your arms up. This sometimes helps me. Also try sitting in a hot shower with your back to the water.
   A good long hot bath in a tub with a cup of epsom salts will sometimes release the spasm.  Epsom salts contain magnesium which can penetrate the skin and muscles and release spasms.
    You might also start taking a good Magnesium Glycinate supplement to prevent spasms.
   Wishing you the best.
Are you spending long amounts of time at the computer? If so, take a five minute break each hour and walk...even around the house can help.  A hot shower may loosen tight muscles; I know for a fact that a visit to a good chiropractor can help. Ask friends and family for a recommendation if you do not have a chiropractor. Mine uses hot packs and then light massage and manipulation of the spine with her fingers; she straightened out my long-ailing back in about 6-7 visits last May, and my hip and knee and back no longer hurt.. that's nine months of relief....it's wonderful.