Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Possible causes for low body temp?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Possible causes for low body temp?

After waking up and feeling like I was running a fever, I took my temp & it was 96.7F.  I took it again and the second time it was 96.5F.  I have been sick for quite some time now, the Dr's have not been able to diagnose what is wrong, I am hoping to get answers very soon, as it seems I'm finally getting somewhere, but someone had told me that a low body temp can mean very bad things.  All of my bloodwork suggests a problem with my liver.  On top of the fever I have severe swelling all over my body, and I am not the type to even get swollen feet.  Any Ideas?
Hep C virus can cause low body temp. You need to be tested for Hep C if you haven't already. make sure you dont drink alcohol until you get to the bottom of what is going on.
Sepsis and thyroid can cause lower body temps.
98.8 is considered the average-not everybody falls into the "average." Too, I've read that temperature fluctuates.
Normal body temperature has a narrow range within plus/minus 1 or 2 degrees of 98.6
My 65 year old family member's temperature spikes to 103F, after which she is hospitalized with pneumonia. Then later her temp tanks to 96.1, which is where it is tonight. Any ideas about what is going on? Recent blood tests show elevated liver function problems, but she does not drink alcohol.
Hi, I've just started seeing a Naturopath, he got me to record my temperature every morning before I get out of bed over the last week.  My temperature on average is 36.3.  I'll ask more questions about it next time I see him.  
I had an eye condition related to hyper active liver yang. I think there were a number of contributing factors, but stress was the main one.  Acupuncture and chinese herbs can help balance out your body and immune system.  My eye is nearly back to normal thanks to my chinese medicine doctor/acupuncturist, and the eye doctor thought I was going to go blind.  If you choose to try this route, go to an acupuncturist with lots of experience.  Also, I read an article about a study done on people with serosis of the liver, and they found that eating 3 cups a day of yogurt containing live active cultures significantly improved liver function.  If yogurt is not an option you can get supplements containing various forms of lactobacillus (live active cultures). They are good to ingest for the immune system,and according to that one study on liver serosis particularly for the liver as well.  I've read that 80% of your immune system is in your digestive tract.  So a key to health is eating foods that are good for you in the right ratios and proportions, and having at least one bowel movement a day.  If this is not happening, this should be looked into.  I thought that maybe my poor digestion (constipation) had been because of lack of digestive enzymes, but I've found out that it was actually lack of stomach acid.  The enzymes supplement made me feel nauseated when I took them, but the stomach acid supplement helps me to digest food normally.  I know a good diagnostic doctor here in Madison, WI, as well as an excellent acupuncturist.  I'm not sure where you are located, but I may be able to ask either of them if they know other doctors in your area.  
Do you normally have a temperature of 98.6 F. ?  Some people have a normal temperature that is lower than the "typical normal".  I know my temperature when not sick is normally any where from 95.8 to 97.  When I'm ill the temp goes "up" to anywhere from 98.6 to 101 (that's really high for me.).  Check with you md and find out what your "normal' is.  Then go from there.
For the past two days, I have been freezing!!! My temp. in ear is 94.7. Have hard time getting out of bed.  Sluggish, extremely tired, dizzy, heart palpitations, and hard time breathing.  I have appt. in a few hours, but thinking about canceling it.  I feel stupid complaining about this but I can hardly feel my fingers, feet and front of my shins because I am so cold.  I am wear a sweater, jacket, and two quilts and still cant seem to warm up.  HELP!!
Welcome to the forum!
Please do not cancel your appointment. Drink something hot like hot tea or soup. Adjust your room temperature; try to eat something for low blood sugar can also make you feel cold. You can also feel chilled if you are about to break into viral fever. At least get yourself examined to know what is wrong. There can be several other causes like hypothyroidism, liver diseases, adrenal insufficiency, liver failure and as a side effect of some drugs. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

All my life I have had a low body temp. Based on my own medical records from childhood on my body temp runs 96.4 versus the ave. temp. of 98.6. I see people posting about it like it is a problem so I guess I'm wondering why my Dr. has never done anything about it. I've been treated as if I have a fever when my temp. reaches 98.6(and feel as though I do). Is it possible that I'm just fine running a below normal temp? I figured its a genetic thing because my mom is the same way as is my son. However, again after reading the post here I am concerned, should I be?
Welcome to the forum!
Well, not all human beings have the perfect bookish body temperature. Your temperature remains on the lower side of the ‘right or normal temperature’ but not low enough to be alarmed about. Also lower temperature alone is not a cause to be alarmed about. In the previous post, the person had symptoms and the temperature was lower. A person can have a ‘normal body temperature’ that would become lower in certain instances. Another person can have a lower temperature without any cause.
Since low temperature runs in the family, there is a chance that there is a predisposition for diabetes, hypothyroidism, anemia, adrenal insufficiency etc for all these can bring the temperature down. However without any symptoms it is unlikely to be due to any pathological cause.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
A related discussion, Chillness felt for over 2 weeks was started.
A related discussion, Low body temp was started.
A related discussion, low body temperature - high blood pressure was started.
My daughter is almost 15 and was born with Congenital Hydrocephalus and has been complaining of "freezing" and when I check her temp (by mouth) it is always 95-96.3 and was wondering if I should be alarmed or not.  They did just start school and they have to adjust there time from staying up late to getting up early etc, but I don't know if I should be more concerned due to her medical history (she was taken at 32 weeks) and was in Level III PICU for 4-1/2 weeks and 2 weeks in Level II in another Hospital.  She has symptoms of headaches, vision problems (worn glasses since age of 4),neuropathy of her legs, had nose bleeds, but went away and this being cold all the time started and I thought it was nothing at first, but now am concerned as her temp is so low!  Should I be rushing her to her doctor or the ER?  I am disabled with a multitude of medical problems and was in the Medical Field for 26 years, so I don't want to over-react, when she might just need a sweater....???
Hi myracle 1962.

Your profile shows male. Are you perhaps the mother?
The reason I'm asking is because there might be a maternal thyroid
dysfunction correlation to not only this present issue,but to other issues as well, including the possibility that the  maternal  thyroid dysfunction could be a causative co-factor.
Type 2 hypothyroid- thyroid resistant and not detected by blood tests- is passed to the offspring from only the hypothyroid mother, who may have never been diagnosed!!
Please let me know, as this may be a significant link,  perhaps explaining
some of your medical problems as well, should you be the mother.

This is a thyroid issue, regardless.
All the causes of low temperature, as many where mentioned in various posts in this thread, boil down to thyroid dysfunction.

You may want to consult a medical doctor who understands  thyroid
beyond the established medical protocols and practices, which are failing the majority of the sufferers, and treat your daughter according to symptoms and not according to Labs, and prescribing natural desiccated
thyroid.
I have the suspicion that many of her other symptoms may dissipate, should this be the case indeed and you do find the right doctor to treat her PROPERLY!

I hope this helps, however, this is not intended to replace medical advice.

Wish and your daughter well.

Love & Light
Niko

A related discussion, 96.2???? was started.