Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Post surgery symptoms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Post surgery symptoms

My husband has these health issues:  depression, lower back pains, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and on top of that high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes and heart problems run in the family.  He took 4-6 ibuprofen pills each time his back bothered him, or Tylenol (whatever is available) which is about 4-8 times a day; and TylenolPM before bed . Prior to my husband's emergency colostomy Christmas '08 ( he was in for hernia), his eldest sister had colostomy (to arrest colon cancer)  a week before his; had another 6" cut-off of his colon and his stoma was closed at the same time, July 2009.  Since then, his complaints ranged from gas, bloating, pressure, burning, pain, acid build up, vomiting, and lately bile build up.  He medicate himself by taking Tums and Prilosec alternately.

His surgeon as of 08/04 visit suggested yogurt for him. To supplement that, I reasearched for ulcer and juicing for said condition.  Got him into cabbage/carrot/celery/apple juicing (the first three tries each had a clove of garlic), the last one he vomited.  This morning he had potato/apple juice (without garlic), and still complains of burning, and an hour ago vomited again, this time he said because of bile build up.  

HELP!  I do not want to see him in this condition.  Is it just bile build up or abdominal aortic aneurysm?
Hello for the past 15 months I have been experiencing leg and hip pain from a fall.  I have had three different diagnosis...scatia, lumber spine injury to the latest...muscle sprain.  I have had every therpy you can think of but no relief.  It hurts to sit, fold legs and stand for long periods of time.  Have had x rays that shows nothing wrong.  I am begining to feel that the doctors believe that my pain does not exist or could not last as long as it has.  Any comments on this.  Thanks
Welcome to the forum!
Please do not self medicate. It is not wise. Gas, bloating pressure etc is expected. “Right after surgery it may seem that you have a lot of gas almost all the time. Most abdominal surgery is followed by this uncomfortable, embarrassing, yet harmless symptom. As the tissue swelling goes down, you will have less gas. But certain foods, such as eggs, cabbage, broccoli, onions, fish, beans, milk, cheese, and alcohol may cause gas.
Eating regularly will help prevent gas. Skipping meals to avoid gas or output is not smart. Some people find it best to eat smaller amounts of food 4 to 5 times a day.” Refer: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6x_Colostomy.asp
Talk to a dietician and plan out his meals. Talk to his doctor regarding the pain. In all probability the gas and bloating is causing the pain. Take medication for acidity etc under supervision.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Infact the painkillers he is taking will aggravate his problems.
Welcome to the forum!
Well, sciatica is a possibility. A MRI will be required for confirmation.
Another possibility is ischiogluteal bursitis. This is inflammation of the bursa that lies between the ischial tuberosity and the tendon of hamstring muscle. The bursa may show inflammation without any cause or in association with hamstring tendinitis or inflammation of tendon of hamstring. The pain increases on stretching.
Myofascial pain or trigger points in the Gluteus medius muscle and Piriformis muscles can cause pain in the buttock area which may radiate to thighs. Stretching the muscle increases the pain.
None of these will be evident on X-rays. A MRI may be required for confirmation.
I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor (PCP) and get a referral for a sports clinic and consult a sports medicine specialist. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Thanks for the input. Will visit suggested reference after this posting; and thank you for taking the time to analyze my post.  Have a nice day :)