Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Postpartum Seizures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Postpartum Seizures

I am 9 weeks postpartum and just had my 2nd seizure. (My 1st was approximately 6 weeks ago). I have no history of seizure, was not diagnosed with preeclampsia. I was, however, diagnosed 6 years ago with PACs and PVCs. My family dr. ordered an EKG, EEG, and CT scan of my brain after the 1st seizure and all tests came back negative. I am not on any medications for the heart conditions due to my pregnancy and the fact that I am now nursing. Also, most heart medications lower blood pressure and mine usually (before and after pregnancy) runs in the 80s/40s. My pregnancy was uncomplicated and the baby was healthy and term. What could possible causes be for the seizures? The emergency room has told me to have my primary care physician refer me to a neurologist, but I have heard that seizures CAN be brought on postpartum. Is this true? If so, will it go away? This is very frustrating to me because the emergency room had to report my driver's license number so I am no longer allowed to drive until cleared by a neurologist (it will be several months until one in my area can see me), which means I cannot return to work. I am also not supposed to carry my infant or be totally alone with him. The emergency room doctor (a resident) prescribed Dilantin for me and told me it was safe for breastfeeding, but the information insert on the prescription said not to breastfeed while on the medication. Which should I believe? Any helpful information would be GREATLY appreciated. I would like to know what is going on with my own body!
It's difficult to believe that no neurologist can see an adult with new onset seizures (were they grand mal?) for several months.  This is too late post partum to be associated with eclampsia at this point, but whether there is some other type of very, very late postpartum association going on, I don't know.

I would move heaven and earth to get in to be seen.  I understand your primary has to refer you.  It's unbelievable that they can't get you in sooner.  Did you have an MRI?  MRA?  

No, Dilantin is not a good choice for a breastfeeding woman.  You will have to pump and dump while you are on it.  DO NOT STOP TAKING IT.  See your primary to discuss what other options you have.
Did u have an epidural at birth? I've researched many incidents of seizures after an epidural. My sister just had a seizure and Im online researching it. U should look into it