Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Problem with left hand

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Problem with left hand

I am a healthy 26 year old woman. I am having a lot of problems with my left hand. It started about 4 months ago and has since gradually gotten worse. I go to bed at night and my hand is numb, I wake up and my hand is numb, and all through the day my hand is numb. But my hand is not only numb, but it is very painful and I have noticed that I am not able to grip things like door handles very well. It hurts really bad and I have a high tolerance for pain, but it is getting so bad, I can't even sleep through the night. Not only does my hand go numb, but my middle finger and the one next to it goes numb and stays numb. Any idea what this is? I have not had any recent trauma to it nor have I have any surgeries on the left side. Please someone, if you have any idea what it is, give me some advice. I do not have insurance so going to see someone is not possible, unless I go to the ER room. Any advice is appreciated. Thank You
I have almost the same problem only without the pain. Mine is only painful when it goes numb in my sleep and that wakes me up. I am losing my grip and it cramps shut alot. So  i went to a neurologist. the outcome was (not sure how to say it right )secondary periphial nerve damage They never told me if there was anything i could do about it yet
early signs of ms or something as simple as sleeping on it wrong or nerve ending look into it dont let it go for sure
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What you have is probably Scalene Myofascial Pain Syndrome. When scalene muscle is the cause of pain, the pain is referred to (either all or a combination of) chest, inner lining of scapula (shoulder bone), shoulder, posterior and lateral sides of the arm right up to the thumb and index finger. When this muscle shortens, this can press on brachial plexus (bundle of nerves and blood vessels in the armpit) and the subclavian artery and can compress or irritate these structures and cause symptoms such as abnormal sensation including numbness, cold extremity, spasms of pain, and lymphedema (swelling of lymph channels causing swelling of arm or leg) in the involved extremity.
Other than this it can be inflammation of veins or phlebitis, inflammation of lymph channels or lymphangitis, deep vein thrombosis or compartment syndrome.
It can also be due to cervical nerve compression.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!