Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Problems after a Left Thyroidectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Problems after a Left Thyroidectomy

I recently had a left thyroidectomy, after a week of being on medication i came off and then started to have tingling and pins and needles in the left side of my body only, not numbness some slight differences in color between my hands and feet but nothing drastic, always a regular pulse. I am heavyset because of insulin problems that I have, I produce too much insulin but my cells are insulin resistant and I just found this out recently. I am extremely healthy in my eating habits but I should excersize more than I do. I've also had chest pain back pain and neck pain, last night the chest and back pain got so bad i couldn't sleep. The first time it happened I went to the ER and they did a chest xray EKG and bloodwork and it all came back clear. I have a major fear of heart attacks and despite what the doctors said at the hospital I can't help but think that there is something wrong with my heart. I only feel good for part of the day and then for a few hours I have pins and needles pain and discomfort. can someone please tell me what is wrong with me?
I'm wondering if maybe you have a pinched or pulled nerve?  My boss had that happen and he said it felt like an elephant sitting on his chest.  He too was scared he'd had a heart attack.  It could be because they did a surgery where they had to dance around some very delicate nerves and perhaps they didn't make it out without hurting one.  It's just an idea...  But to ease your concerns on you heart: You cannot have a heart attack unless you have preexisting heart disease.  If your EKG comes out fine, then you should be okay.  I would ask if you can get some test done to see if it's a pinched or pulled nerve.  Not to alarm you, but if they have to do a nerve electrolosis test, they're terrible.  Mostly scary.  I had one done when I was 11.  Let me know if you have questions about it.  :)
Wishing you well,
Amyithist
I had total thyroidectomy on Aug 16th. Surgery went fine. Doc told me not to take my thyroid med for 10 days - until next appointment. Why would this be if I do not have a thyroid any more?  Also very concerned that I will gain back the 35 pounds I have lost from Weight Watchers.  Do I need to take iodine if I do not have a thyroid?
You need thyroid medication because you no longer have a thyroid, From what I understand you need the thyroid medication to help your body function without a thyroid. But don't quote me on that, you should ask your doctor to explain it more thoroughly to you. :)