Propranolol and Metformin causing cold feet and muscle spasms?
I've been on Propranolol for anxiety (3 x 40mg a day) for about a year and a half and just this week an endocrinologist prescibed Metformin for my PCOS.  At the moment I'm on 500mg a day.  When I went to get the prescriptions filled for both, the pharmacist told me there was an interaction warning between the two, but that it was insignificant or minor.  It says "The effects of Metforming 4000mg tabs are slightly increased by Propranolol 40mg tabs increasing the hypoglycaemic effect."

The edocrinologist told me that it would be normal for me experience an upset tummy and that is gradually getting better, but my feet are cold and I'm getting what I think is muscle spasms in my legs.  I can't be sure if they're muscle spasms or something in my veins.

Although I've read the MedlinePlug Drug Information about Metformin, I'm worried these side effects are abnormal, whether I should go to ER (A&E), whether they're signs of lactic acidosis.  Anyone have any ideas?
hmmm...I'm on atenolol, another beta blocker, I used to be on propranolol years back. You can get cold feet and hands from beta blockers, if you have Raynaud's syndrome, it could make it worse. However I need the beta blockers to keep my heart from racing so I just put up with the cold hands/feet.

I also have PCOS and diabetes. I take Avandia and have no side effects from mixing the two drugs. You might ask your dr to switch you to Avandia, I believe its another drug they use for PCOS. It comes in 8mg and 4mg, and rarely will it cause hypoglycemia.

As far as the muscle spasms, I am not sure what can cause this. I get leg cramps myself and my doctor told me to take magnesium 400 mg. a day. It seems to help.

I would ask your dr. to review your medications and make adjustments if necessary. Mention the muscle spasms. Good Luck.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.