Pseudogout - Calcium deposit in my wrists
My father as well as other people have looked at my wrists and they have all told me that I have "calcium deposits". I've had them since I was like 15 or younger (I'm now 28), and the one on my right wrist has gotten quite large. Its very noticable. I also have one on my left wrist but that one isn't as big as the right side. If I try to lift pots and pans off the stove while cooking or carry something over 5 lb.s in one hand my wrists will give out and I will have to drop what I'm carrying because it hurts so much. Almost as if my writs are going to break. I don't have medical and just moved back to Hawaii. I've never seen a doctor because I'm afraid of the whole operation thing. My pain has become severe at times as it is today. Any advise on what to do? I know this isn't a medical emergency but the E.R. does sound temping at times when I cannot find comfort in over the counter medicines. Help!
The little research I've done looks like calcium deposits can happen with wrist arthritis.  I've seen something about removing the "pisiform" bone in the wrist, I think if the pain is on the pinky side (ulnar side) of the wrist.  Eorthopod states in a study of 21 patients followed up for 3 years, 20 were pain free after the surgery, which left tendons and ligaments around the bone were left untouched, so function was preserved.  One patient complained of pain with strenuous activity of the 21 patients followed up.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
It is very difficult to diagnose calcium deposits with naked eye. In all probability you have a ganglion (cyst) or a neurofibroma. Both can cause pain in the wrist joint. A ganglion is a sac-like swelling or cyst formed from lining of a joint or from a tendon. A neurofibroma is a collection of nerve and fibrous tissue. If they are causing pain and pressure symptoms they need to be removed. Please consult your PCP to start with and get a referral for a surgeon.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!