Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pulsing in abdomen? Do I need to worry?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pulsing in abdomen? Do I need to worry?

Hi,  I am 24 (almost 25) years old. I am very worried about having noticed a strong pulse in my epigastric area occasionally. Not only can I see it when it happens but I feel it pulsing. Yesterday I noticed it while I was laying down. I have palpated my stomach and have not noticed a bulge. I have not had any recent abdominal pain. I do have cold feet which I attributed to not being very active anymore. A little background: I am 5'3'' and weigh 145 lbs. I have been not very active for the last 2 years. I have a very stressful job, I work nights and work long hours. I am on my feet for 12 hours. The only medication that I take is orthotrycyclen and a multivitamin. I was concerned that this could be an AAA. Does anyone think that it would something to be concerned about? Should I get it checked out?
H i there.  I read your  note and wanted to just let you know I remember having a pusating feeling like that in my epigastrum when I was younger like you.  It would just come and go.  There were no other symptoms w/it.  I wouldn't think it was a AAA as you are very young.    Do you have any family history of aneurysms? Most serious AAA are in older individuals and are atleast 4cm in diameter.
You can actually palpate your abdominal aorta if your belly is pretty small, and feel how wide it is.
Another consideration is large intestine or colon spasms but I would think you'd have a bit of discomfort w/that most likely,and you described pusating vs spasms.
The other thing is, if you are going to worry about it alot, then have it checked out.  Your dr. can probably relieve your worries pretty quickly.  Squibby
thanks so much!

The pulsations felt in the abdomen are normally found in some thin persons.But in your case also possibility of abdominal aortic aneurysm(AAA) is high. An aortic aneurysm is a weak spot in the wall of the aorta, the primary artery that carries blood from the heart to the head and extremities. Atherosclerosis(cholesterol deposits) is the main cause of AAA.Atherosclerosis is nowadays not confined to elderly.Due to lifestyle changes,stress and anxiety,faulty eating habits and not taking enough time to exercise,it is becoming more and more common in young people also.

Diagnosed by physical examination and investigations like ultrasound or magnetic resonance angiography. The treatment for an aneurysm depends on many factors: where it is, how big it is, how quickly it is enlarging, and whether or not it has caused any symptoms. For small aneurysms medications to control blood pressure and blood thinner like coumadin are the only treatment that is required.For large aneurysms,surgery may be required.

I feel that you should get yourself evaluated by a surgeon at the earliest so that mode of treatment can be decided.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.