Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Purple toes= bad circulation??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Purple toes= bad circulation??

My feet are always cold but just recently I noticed that if I'm sitting for a period of time, my toes turn purple. As soon as I press on my toes they return to normal. My question is are purple toes= to bad circulation? Is this something I should be worried about? I'm a 22 year old female. I don't have health insurance. Please help. Thanks:)
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Yes, the discoloration can be due to poor blood supply. This can happen if there is a clot in the blood vessel or if the blood vessel is pinched some where. It can also be due to Raynaud’s phenomenon. If you are a smoker, it can be due to smoking. This can also be due to peripheral artery disease associated with diabetes. I am sorry you do not have insurance, but this needs to be investigated. Until then try and keep the circulation going by avoiding prolonged sitting or standing in one posture.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks for your reply. I don't smoke. I'm 5'6", eat healthy, weigh around 115-120 lbs. Last time I got my blood pressure checked (about 3 months ago), it was 110/80. I feel like ever since I got off birth control- I've had a bunch of side effects (hair loss, oily skin, breakouts). I also have a couple more questions for you if you don't mind answering them.

1) I have red try skin on my wrist & it's recently spreading on my hand. I've applied lotion but it won't go away- instead it keeps spreading. It's been there for at least 6 months...Any suggestions?

2) On Nov. 10, 2009 I was given an IV- the nurse tried serval times to get it in & once she did, it kinda hurt. I thought once it was removed it would stop hurting. Well it's been 3.5 months & the place where the IV was inserted occasionally still aches. Could this be nerve damage from the IV? The IV was placed in the crease of my right arm.

Sorry for all the questions..but like I said I don't have health insurance. It's nice to get opinions before spending lots of money at the doctors office
I need some answers! I'm a 22 yr old female as well and have no health insurance too. Well, i sprained my ankle/fractured part of leg in july 2009 so i wore a cast and a boot! It's been 10 months and im still in a lot of pain with my ankle? Any ideas why this is! Its been a year and im still not well.