Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Puzzling blood work
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Puzzling blood work

HI--After 6+ months of undiagnosed lower ab pain, went to ER with 11cm imbedded kidney stone. Had surgery 2 months ago and have never quite recovered. Complaining about headache in front of my head, fatigue, nausea, muscle aches all over my body and noticed even after surgery that my blood pressure has been lower than usual (like 90's over 50's.) Visited ER again--more stones--and those urine tests showed potassium at 3.4. I just got a copy of tests and have found all of this out myself. My 24 hr urine came back with a diagnosis hypercalciuria. My blood is normal for calcium. My PC has tested me for Lyme, Addison's, inflammation, infection, hyperparathyroid, uric acid--all normal. I am wondering if magnesium would factor into all this and if the low potassium is causing the other symptoms that seem to be independant of the stones.  Neither my PC or my urologist seem to be interested in putting all the info together for a diagnosis. I am not falling down sick, just not myslef and starting to get very frustrated! Anyone have any ideas?
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi

Thanks for the post.

There are many causes for hypercalciuria that should be looked into. “The most common types of clinically significant hypercalciuria are absorptive, renal leak, resorptive, and renal phosphate leak. Each of these conditions is described in more detail later in this article. Other causes of hypercalciuria that need to be considered but are not discussed in this article include hyperthyroidism, renal tubular acidosis, sarcoidosis and other granulomatous diseases, vitamin D intoxication, glucocorticoid excess, Paget disease, Albright tubular acidosis, various paraneoplastic syndromes, prolonged immobilization, induced hypophosphatemic states, multiple myeloma, lymphoma, leukemia, metastatic tumors especially to bone, Addison disease, and milk-alkali syndrome.

About 80% of all kidney stones contain calcium, and at least one third of all calcium stone formers are found to have hypercalciuria when tested. Hypercalciuria contributes to kidney stone disease and osteoporosis, which explains the need to understand this disorder clearly.” Please refer: http://www.emedicine.com/med/TOPIC1069.HTM
Hypercalcinuria improves with magnesium supplementation in case there is associated low magnesium level, in familial hypomagnesemia. Magnesium and calcium metabolism is interlinked and should be looked into. Do you have a low potassium level in blood? Then there is a problem as the kidney is not able to retain it.

I think you should discuss the possibilities with your doctor to try and find the cause of excess excretion of calcium in urine. Kidney stones are formed due to this high level of calcium in urine.

Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank