Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Quit smoking 4 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Quit smoking 4 months

I am excited that I have quit smoking for 4 months now.  However, prior to quitting I never really had trouble breathing.  When I first quit I felt great.  Now all of sudden I am wheezing and I feel like I can't get enought air.  My chest is extremely heavy.  Why is this happening?  Will it go away?  Why did it start after I quit?

This discussion is related to Difficulty with breathing and gasping for breath.
now that you have quite smoking ... good for you , your lungs are most likely trying to figure out what happened to all the smoke , I am asthmatic and sugest that when you quite the weather was cooler and cooler air is lighter than hot air so try staying in a cool places when the day is warmest also you can boil a pot of water and breath the steam for some relief when your chest is feeling tight perhaps a humidifier in you home or office will help as well to keep moisture in the air this will most likely improve with time and if it dont or gets worst see a doctor.
I stopped smoking for almost a year, unfortunatly I started back.  About two or three months after stopping I started coughing a lot and having trouble breathing.  My lungs were trying to get all the 'crapout' from years of smoking.  It shouldn't last long, your lungs are probably just trying to repair themselves.  Congrates!!!
they say when you give up smoking it takes a while to get the effects of the fags to come out of your system,so it it is prob just all the **** coming out of you,well done though
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Kudos to you for quitting smoking! Cough wheezing tightness of chest are all part of the withdrawal symptoms and can be easily overcome by medication. Other than this it could be smoker’s lung which causes an asthma like condition. You can discuss this with your PCP or go to a smoking de-addiction center and take treatment for this.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!