UNDIAGNOSED SYMPTOMS
COMMUNITY
RIBS FEEL BRUISED
by crobidoux, Nov 23, 2008
My activity was normal yesterday, I didn't do anything strenuous.  Yesterday evening I started noticing a bruise type pain on my left side, it's under the breast bone, in the rib cage area.  At first I didn't think anything of it but it kept gradually getting worse.  It hurts when I don't touch it, like the pain you get when you touch a bruise and it burns.  Now, today, the right side, in the SAME spot hurts.  I woke up this morning with just the left side hurting and this afternoon I started noticing the same starting pain the left side made on the right side and now both sides feel the same.  It's just right under the breast bones, maybe an inch lower and an inch closer to my side.  It's painful.  It hurts to breathe, I can't lay down because it hurts.  Does anyone have any idea what's causing this?
Member Comments (1)
by Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank, Nov 23, 2008

Without examination ,confirming a diagnosis is tough but it looks like intercostal myalgia. Myalgia means "muscle pain" and when it involves the intercostals muscles,it is called intercostal myalgia. Apply some cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain reliever like ibuprofen or diclofenac.Also apply topical muscle relaxant.If the condition improves,then it was intercostal myalgia,other wise conditions like costochondritis, anemia and thyroid diseases(hyperthyroidism),fibromyalgia, Ankylosing spondylitis and irritation of the nerves supplying the chest by buldging disc of cervical or thoracic vertebrae have to be explored.

Pls consult a physician and get yourself evaluated in that case.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep us posted if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.