Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
RUQ Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

RUQ Pain

What can be causing this pain at the lower edge of the last (lowest)rib/jjust below  the last (lowest) rib on the right side of my abdomen? It started two days ago and felt muscular in nature. It felt almost like I had pulled a muscle. At that time, I couldn't  tell definitively if the pain was originating in my side and what I was experiencing was referred pain to the anterior RUQ or if it 's point of origin was actually the anterior RUQ. egion where I described above. The best way I can think of to describe it is like a "stitch" from running. It's a constant dull ache but coughing causes extremely sharp pain as though being stabbed by a knife. When I try to straighten up my posture or stretch my torso, it almost feels like a cramp. If I press on the area directly below the last rib on the right side, the pain is so sharp that it causes me to flinch and it takes my breath away. I have had no weight loss, nausea, vomiting, fever or pain anywhere else. It just seems to be localized in the RUQ just at the bottom edge of and below the last rib Other than this, I am a healthy 38 year old. I do have a history of back problems and I had severe Mononucleosis as a teenaeger, at which time my LFT's were extremely elevated. They returned to WNL not long after the bout with Mononucleosis and my most recent blood work came back very good. The only medication I am currently taking is Adderall (adderrall) for ADHD. Any info/insight you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time :)
1 Comment
Upper right abdominal pain can be caused by biliary colic, cholecystitis (inflammation of gall bladder), irritable bowel syndrome, hepatitis(inflammation of the liver), kidney stones, pneumonia, musculoskeletal pain, lower rib fracture and malignancy. Irritation of the nerves supplying this area can also cause pain. Irritation can be due to nerve compression or pinching due to any spine related pathology.

In females, ovarian cysts can also cause pain in abdomen usually in lower part but it can be a referred pain in upper abdomen also. So ovarian cysts have to be ruled out.
Confirmation can be done only after ultrasound or CT abdomen. Blood tests may also be required in some cases.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.