Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Random Bruises?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Random Bruises?

For the past few weeks I've been getting bruises on my legs that do hurt, like a normal bruise. They take a long time to go away, but I haven't hurt myself at all and normally it's really difficult for me to bruise. Also, for years, I get really dizzy randomly -- normally in the shower. I always have to sit down for about 45 minutes afterwards, and a few times I've passed out. Anyone know what could be wrong with me?
oh, and i'm only 17.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
If you are not on any medications like anticoagulants, blood thinners or birth control pills then this could be due to clotting disorders, fragile spider veins, deep vein thrombus, deficiency of Vitamin B12, folic acid, or Vit K, a liver disease or certain cancers. It could also be due to pressure urticaria. If you are on medications then you need to discuss that with your doctor.
You need a comprehensive investigation taking all these points in consideration. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Please discuss this with your doctor and get yourself investigated accordingly.  Do let me know if there is any thing else you want to know. Take care!

Okey dokey.

The first thing is not to worry too much. The chances are your problems can be easily solved.

Drnee pointed out most of the possibilities.

That being said, the most common cause of the dizziness and passing out amongst females is a low hematocrit. A hematocrit is a measure of the number of red blood cells, which carry oxygen to the organs. They btake your blood, run it through a centrifuge, and come up with a number between 1 and 46 or 50. People who test lower than 10 are usually dead. For a male the normal test number is 45-46. For females, the number is usually a few points lower. A lowered hematocrit can be caused by natural female time-of-the-month bleeding, aspirin, birth control pills, or iron deficiency anemia.

So square one is for you to head down to your clinic and get them to do blood work.

They will perform a blood clotting test, probably one called a ptt, which is inexpensive and painless. At least painless to the tech taking the blood.

The bruising is generally due to a clotting disorder, and the most common cause is amongst youngsters who eat weird vegatarian diets and develop vitramin K deficiency. The solution to that is a vitamin pill a day. Just a general multi-vitamin should do it. Vegan diets also tend to be iron deficient. Today's cooks don't use iron frying pans either.

A little bit more iron in the diet would probably help.

I would take a daily sublingual B12 supplement with folic acid, in any case. Most people are deficient.

And of course you should have a super effort to keep yourself well-hydrated. I'm willing to bet a vanilla egg cream you are a little bit dehydrated. You need electrolytes, such as gatorade. Not just water.

When you go for a check up, ask the doctor/nurse/pa to take what are called orthostatic vital signs.

I want to assure you it is highly unlikely that you have cancer or anything seriously wrong with you. Get yourself a good night's sleep.

If the simple things don't work out, your physician will probably refer you to a hematologist, a specialist in the blood.

Post back and let me know what the final diagnosis is.
I am also going through this with the bruising and have had all these blood work done, still waiting for the test results,  as far as the  dizziness in the shower, try not to colder water intead of hot or very warm, this could be from orthostatic intolerence, (POTS) . This is a form of dysautonomia.  Try drinking plenty of water during the day , at least 64 oz. and ask your doctors to check for this, usually a tilt table test performed by a cardiologyst.  Good Luck!
ok so i have Random bruises , the only meds i take is Synthroid   , am eight-teen . i do not take any other med. and i dont smoke weed or cig's. haven't done any other kind of drugs that must teens do. and I am scared that i might have cancer. my grand mother on dad side has breast cancer, and my grandfather on mom said had sink cancer and some other cancer. My second cuz also had cancer. plz help me
Welcome to the forum!
Well check out if you have Hashimotos thyroiditis—this can cause skin problems like bruising. Since you have a strong family history, get cancer screening done. There are many blood cancer markers to test for presence of cancer. Clotting disorders, deficiency of Vitamin B12, folic acid, or Vit K should be looked into. There is a chance you have fragile capillaries. Please discuss this with your treating doctor and get these investigations done.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!