Random pains
Sometimes, there's no specific time it occurs at random, I get these weird random very sharp pains at the top of my rib cage on the left side. Sometimes it's worse than others when it's unexpected and I have to grab my side. When I try to breath it's another sharp pain. It last for a few seconds, maybe a minute and then goes away. The same thing happens on the right side of my abdomen where my "side abs" are (whatever those are called). What are these random sharp pains and what could be causing them?  
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If you have pain under your right ribs and on side then there could be a liver infection or a gall bladder problem. A similar pain on left side could be due to GERD, acidity, hiatal hernia or due to spleen abscess of infection. Get a liver function test, ultrasound or CT of abdomen, pancreatic enzymes, a chest X-ray and hemogram and iron status.
There is a strong possibility it is costochondritis (inflammation of the joint between rib and sternum. The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. Heat application, analgesic creams and tablets help.
Since the pain shifts, it can also be gas or due to IBS.
I would strongly recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) or at least your PCP to start with. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!