Random sharp and concentrated pains throughout body
Since I was a teen, I have had these random sharp pains throughout various parts of my body that will occur in concentrated bursts of pain in a particular area for short periods of time. Sometimes pain will re-appear in the same area throughout the day and other times it will appear at seemingly unrelated part of my body. For example, it happened today and began with concentrated burst of pain half way up my inner left thigh. This pain would intensify which would cause me to wince in pain and then release and then repeat all over again every 5-10 seconds for about a minute. This pain did not radiate anywhere but only within a specific point. Then this same stabbing sensation occurred half way up to the first knuckle of my right middle finger about 30 minutes later. Then immediately following this finger pain I felt pain in my right foot at the joint of my middle toe. I have no idea what causes this and both of my siblings report similar type of pain issues. Friends think this is quite strange. As a teenager, everyone called these "growing pains" but I am 30 years old and don't believe this title still applies. Any ideas on possible causes? A friend of mine recommended acupuncture but of course I cringe at the thought of needles.
Im 19 ive been having shooting pain in different parts of my body sometimes in my stomach back legs or arms but it started out in my pelvis doctors thought i had an ovarian cyst been having this for over a year an a half. The pain scares me because its hurt really bad before that i couldnt sit down i had to lie down. Does that sound familiar?
What you have is something different, especially when you talk about hurting more when sitting down. Random body pain is not made worse by doing something like sitting. Have you had blood work done? and results.
I dont know i think mine were rather different well i did get the pain all over my body, its been a tough year for me, so many sickness that i have after it healed it came back to me again and keep having this new symptoms and im only 18. So nearly all of you were saying that u get this randoms pain on your hand and feet etc but not on your stomach? Cause i did get sharp random pain that last few second but rarely on my arms and feet but most on my chest, stomach and my back, its been a week now and i dont know what it is, right this moment by writing this now im having this sharp pain on my back and upper middle abdomen. Annoying i tell you.
i've been having this for a yr or 2 and suddenly got worse last month or so.  brushed it off before but lately been having a lot of other symptoms similar to lime but doctor refuse to test for lime and just did complete blood count which showed everything as normal, urine sample & stool culture (ie no infections).  anyway she thinks it's anxiety induced.  so i took her advice and tried to relax more.  and when the pain came on, sharp pain, i focused on it and told myself to relax and actually the pain became dull and went away.  sometimes it went away but traveled to a different spot on my body, sometimes it just went dull.  
I am having the same thing. It's freaking me out.. I get dizzy too. Did yours get any better?
I to suffer from anxiety and muscle pain. I've been taking  Omega 3- 2000 mg and my combination of all in one  liquid vitamins as : Magnesium, Vitamin D3 and Calcium. I honestly can say that I noticed an improvement with my pains.  I also want to mention that it's been about a year that I take all the above. And for sleepless night I drink TAZO calm chamomile. A comforting herbal infusion of chamomile, rose petals & soothing herbs. I hope this works for someone out there !
I have them everywhere, the reason i'm posting is because i just had it in my inner elbow, right around the vein you would use to start an IV. just a sharp pulsing pain for a few minutes. i'm so relieved to have found others who can relate, because now I don't feel as alone, but I am sorry to all those who suffer and want answers. I'm 21 years old, female, I suffer from anxiety/depression and currently not on any medications. I've been going through these random pains for a few years now. They're everywhere, arms, feet, neck, shoulders, leg, head, pelvis. Random. Painful. Not long lasting, but when it happens it really gets my attention and sometimes I have to stop what I'm doing.

I mentioned it to my mom, as I've heard many people mention it could be fibromyalgia. But my mom said that if that's what it is, I'd be in so much pain I wouldn't even be able to walk. I want to talk to my doctor about it but I'm scared she will shoot me down. Other doctors have told me it's just because of my anxiety or stress, and even that it's in my head.

Someone, please if you have any answers. Please share.
This is two years after you posted this, but try going on a juice diet for a while. Inflammation in the body due to bad diet can wreak havoc. You need to alkalize your system to alleviate the inflammation. Also look into buying some sulfur crystals online. No more sugar, meat, dairy, gluten or any white flour products or wheat. Stay as close to vegan as you can. No excuses like "I can't do it. Do it or continue to suffer.
Omg I am 15 and I have exactly what you describe and you are totally right!!when I think about it instantly occurs.. it s usually in my chest arms abdomen and runs like in a pattern.. down to my joints... some nights I wake up scared because I get a sharp electric pain in my shoulders jaws neck and chest and I feel like I'm swimming.... it scares me , but my Dr. Says it anxiety and all my tests come up normal.. I NEED TO STOP THIS!!!! This is mostly the only thing I worry about anymore and sometimes I'm afraid to go to sleep... plz somebody give me some advice....
That is very interesting thank you for sharing your story. I am on anti depressants as well and I expirience stabbing pain all throughout my body iat very frequent times. Pain only lasts a few seconds and goes again- sometime I have to give out a lil moan as its really painful. I wonder if it is inflammation too- i ll try to change diet and see what's happening. If anyone can recommend anything please go ahead. Cheers
Im thirteen and these symptoms just started appearing. Its so painful, bust of pain concentrated mostly in my legs, but also in my chest, back, sides, and sometimes arms and hands. I don't know what to do. I don't believe they are "growing pains" because they are excruciating and prevent me from easily doing tasks such as walking. I have always had tinny aches and pains like every one else and recently it has exalted, but know one seems to believe me. Its is so emotionally painful to have extreme pain but have know one believe you. Does anyone know what could be causing this at such a young age?
Hi! I'm fourteen and get pains everywhere. I'm getting shocks through my hand by typing this! Breathe in and out and go outside a lot, that helps me xx
Hiya, I'm Carly. I've had these pains ever since I can remember. I'm 15 years old now. They don't happen every day, but they happen often. It feels like a pulsing, electric pain in a certain area in my body. It's not debilitating, and it can migrate. I went to my doctor and she blew it off, saying it's anxiety. But I'm very sure that it isn't. I get it even when I'm not anxious, and I'm just laying down to watch Netflix or something. It can happen when I'm up and moving around, or just staying still. Sometimes I get this horrid pain in my chest and it's nearly unbearable. I feel like someone is squeezing the heck out of it. I just sit there in a ball and roll around until it goes away, which usually takes an hour. I don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone have answers?!?!?!?!
I'm 14 and have had this for a very long time! Mine are frequent so I can feel shocks while typing. My parents don't know but due to research Anxiety is a huge answer to this. If anyone in your family has anxiety this could be it, or if you know you have it. My mum has severe anxiety and affects her going out. It also is affected by my sister Angel who took 6 months off school due to anxiety. They shock us and give us breathing issue. It's not really something to worry about, but if causing excruciating pain, contact someonexx

How is your son doing now?
I am 16 years old and get sharp pains in my chest and head, and sometimes get sharp shooting pains in my arm and leg. Anyone know what it could be. It has been going on for about 7-8 months now.
I get this. It's just nerves it's okau
This is incredible, with so many people who are suffering very very similar symptoms. I have so many of the symptoms that you all appear to have for the last 10 years almost, but some have come on more recently than others such as the stabbing pains. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Hypersensitivity, Lack of Exercise and many others and have been prescribed many different drugs, none of which any have worked. I now believe that doctors have just guessed what it is and don't actually know. My symptoms include but not limited to concentrated sharp or dull pain in almost every part of the body at random times, I feel like sometimes there is things crawling on me but there isn't, I have very tight muscles and joints, sometimes one of my arms or legs go numb and I get many electric shocks(especially to my face). I have been to the doctor so many times in the last 3 years that it is now apparent that they just don't know what is going on and I am over wasting money. It is really hard to know what is going on when there isn't any kind of medical answer or explanation. If we could answer the questions below, we can start to find some common similarities, maybe we can fix this issue from a very basic and very obvious cause or at least get an idea of what might be going on.  So lets get an idea of the common similarities between people, if you have the time, please answer my questions so we can all figure out what the heck is going on.

1. Do you take drugs? If so How often? And which ones?
2. Do you exercise? How often?
3. Do you sit for large periods of the day? If so why, do you use a computer and sit at a computer chair for more than 2 - 3 hours at a time?
4. How tall are you?
5. How much do you weigh?
6. Does anyone else you know have this issue?
7. Are you taking any supplements? If so what are they?
8. Do you have or have had any other health issues?
9. Is there anything you have done that has helped?
10. Do you have any anxiety?
11. Do you sleep well? If so how much per day on average?

Here are my answers.

1. Do you take drugs? If so How often? And which ones? Yes I smoke the MJ and about 2 - 3 times a day. I also smoked.

2. Do you exercise? How often? I used to exercise a lot, but over the last 10 years, I have stopped exercising regularly and now exercise once maybe twice a week
.
3. Do you sit for large periods of the day? If so why, do you use a computer and sit at a computer chair for more than 2 - 3 hours at a time? Yes I sit for most of the day on a chair, I can go sitting for up to 5 hours without getting up and moving around.

4. How tall are you? I am 6 Feet and 5 Inches

5. How much do you weigh? I weight 126 Kg's

6. Does anyone else you know have this issue? Not that I know of.

7. Are you taking any supplements? If so what are they? Yes I have been taking, Omega 3, Magnesium, Vitamin D (Because the Doctor told me I have a Vitamin D Deficiency), Black Cumin Seed Oil and Calcium.

8. Do you have or have had any other health issues? Yes I had another tooth impacting one of my other teeth, causing a lot of pressure buildup in my tooth. I have recently in the last 6 months had it surgically removed. I also suffered a lot from Growing pains when I was young approx 12yo from my extreme growth rate.

9. Is there anything you have done that has helped? I have found exercising helps a little, recently have start swimming!

10. Do you have any anxiety? Yes, I notice it the most when im high.

11. Do you sleep well? If so how much per day on average? Approx 8 Hours a day but can sometimes be less.
I have an 8 year old daughter that has been having the same shooting pains everywhere. In addition she also has stomach pains. Did you ever get a diagnosis for your daughter? I really appreciate any feedback.
How old are you? I'm trying to make sure I'm not crazy, I'm 14 almost 15 and I've had these ALL my life (literally)
Same! I'm 14 and it's scary you just have to breathe. When I meet a friend outside it helps me, try to be outside in a calm environment
I love you for this comment <3
My daughter is 13, runs track and has the same problems: a sharp, yet dull/annoying pain that lasts only a few seconds to a minute, and can appear randomly at different places in her body (leg, hip/ upper thigh area,  arm).  She also suffered from a terrible headache at track practice on a few separate occasions.  One headache landed her in the ER.  I took her to the doctor and had her blood checked out.  They said she was fine.  Her coach said that she needs to drink more water always, but especially with heavy training like running competitively.  At one point a nurse mentioned doing a ct scan. I guess to check for clots, but they decided against it.  Her heart rate can be  at times slightly irregular.  It may be connected to anxiety.  So far medical professionals that we've seen have said that she is fine, but this random pain annoys her.  I want to have her doctor look more into this.  These symptoms all sound pretty familiar.  I notice that many people here are athletic, young, and have some feelings of anxiety.  Any medical professionals have any insight to this combination of symptoms? I guess I will have to take matters into my own hands and have her record the baseline incidents of pain and monitor her water intake and activity level for a week.  The next week, I'll increase her water intake and see if that helps.  Then maybe, after the season,  I'll have her take a week off from practice keeping the water level increased and one with her baseline water intake with no practice.  Talk to your parents, coach, gym/health teacher, and your school nurse if you can't go to see a doctor.  I have to get down to the bottom of this.
Of all these responses, yours is amazingly similar to my problem. I also have nagging pain that seems to travel to different areas of my body. right now it is in my left hand between my thumb and point finger. last week it was the same place in my right hand. before that it was in my right ancle... it is driving me nuts. just started about 4 months ago. I am 60, and have never experianced this till now I wonder about the lyme diesese thing, as I believe I was exp[osed to that in my 30's. but no symptoms till now...hmmmm. good luck to you, hope you find some answers. Jim B
My 9 year old daughter is complaining of these pains.  Did you ever figure it out?
You could be right.. cause I've had this kind of pain all of my life, but this week it got really bad and strong, i just saw this post and remembered i got vaccinated last week for Lyme disease.. that explains a lot..  
On the other hand I've had all types of problems through out my life, so it's hard to narrow down the problem, here's the list in case any of you see a pattern, since my childhood started with bad diarrhea, ear infections, meningitis, hyper active sinuses, migraine with aura, astigmatism, low blood & iron!, skin allergy, menstruation problems, urinary tract infection, broken back bones L1 & L5, low blood pressure, broken face, hypothyroidism which was the creme on top of this cake.. you couldn't believe i had all this by looking at me, until hypothyroidism broke me down after my baby's birth.. it's so hard to be me again, cause i found out i only have one thyroid which was kinda damaged due to pregnancy.. things will never be the same again.. now that's a reason for being depressed! hope you guys have it easier.. :)
Hello
I 'seem, to be getting the same pains
They are wicked
Trouble getting wash & dressed etc
It is worse after I have sat down for say 30mins
I have pains all over just trying to turn over in bed
the doctor is given me a 2nd blood test
I will try and keep you informed
Yup! All of your comments are a mirror to my own. I'm 47 and had this for about 10 years. It's like there is a voodoo doll out there with my face on it. I'll get sudden, random, stabbing pains that will make me cry out. It will last maybe 5 seconds and usually repeat on and off in that same spot for a day. Then it will start up on a new spot. Sometimes I go weeks with nothing, sometimes its several spots at once. Middle of my thigh, back of my arm, my hip, ankle, toe, finger, wrist, middle of my hands and feet - which I call my Stigmata pains since it feels like nails being driven in. It feels like a nerve misfire - not joint pain at all, and stress is not an issue. They don't interfere with my life, but are quite annoying! I started keeping a journal of when and where and how long I get them. I looked this up just now too because my right wrist is "firing" like someone is stabbing an ice pick thru it. Oh... there goes my left thigh and right ankle too now. SO WIERD!
Amazing! My name is Elle too (well, Elinor actually) and my pains are very smilar to yours. I think all of us in this thread must be distantly related, as there definitely seems to be a hereditary component there. My late father used to get them too; he called them "scroinges", which I thought was a good word, as you sort of "scroinge" up in pain when you get them. They are short and very sharp, and I find myself crying out in pain, even in public, when they happen. Which can be embarrassing, as people look at you funnily.

It is like an electric shock, and the skin around the area seems to become sensitive and tender to the touch. A hot water bottle definitely helps, in fact I'm lying on one as I write. Aspirin works better than paracetamol for it. I get the pains in many different parts of my body, but often around the rib cage (back or front), back of my arms and my head. Sometimes in my inner thigh, and last night right at the back of my left armpit.

I first started getting them in my 20s when I got a virus, and assumed it was the virus getting into the nerves. But I developed CFS in my 30s, and have been getting the pains intermittently ever since (I'm now 62). I don't think diet affects it, but I do think alcohol does.  I seem to get the pains when I'm run down.

It shocks me (pardon pun haha) that the medical profession does not seem to be aware of this syndrome. When I've mentioned these symptoms to doctors, I too have been lumped under the fibromyalgia diagnosis, but I've read up on fibromyalgia and I just can't relate it to my symptoms. I don't have pain every day and in all the places they mention. It is intermittent and moves around my body.

I wish some medicos would read this thread and give us some support and advice. Or maybe be inspired to research this condition if they don't know what causes it.
Tyvm I will try this! Dr.look at me like I'm nuts sometimes I can't even get out of bed,thanks again.
I have had these recurring stabbing pains since I was about 12 years old.  My grandmother said they were growing pains.  I am now 85  and have never found anything that really relieved them except Ibuprophen which I can no longer take because of other health problems.  They can go away for weeks at a time and suddenly pop up again and always when I have a fever.  My three sons have them too.  They are not anxiety or stress related, they just appear for apparently no reason.  Not that it helps very much, but it is good to know I am not the  only one.  I  recently had a severe cold with fever and I ended up in tears from the stabbing pains all over my body.
I have been having the same pains the OP and elle27 been having. I think at this point I am not going to the doctor because it is not going yo do me any good. I have some back issues and perhaps it is related to this. I wil probably go and get my back re-checked since it has bern a long time. The problem started about 6 or 8 months ago. Before that I have been having some paresthesias in my legs as a result of a pinched nerve in my back for the last 20 years. But this is completely different. I might have pains occasionally in the tip of my finger. Another day, it is my arm, or my hip, or my shoulder. It is quite sharp and only lasts a few seconds. Sometimes it comes back a few times, sometimes it does not. I can say that for the e first time in my life I have been doing no exercise. I am going to really try to get off my bum. I always noticed that when I exercise, my back is better. I have noticed that very few people on this thread mentioned exercise. It would be good to know if most of us are leading sedentary ives.
Hi there

Some of you could possibly have neuralgia. This is caused by a knock to the head or nerve trauma. I get shooting pains in the back of my neck, down the left and right side of my body, pins and needles in my hands and numbness in my head. When it is really bad and I’m out and about ( in a shopping mall for example) I get very paranoid, dizzy, dry mouth and feel the need to be sick.

My doctor said that they can treat it with pills but it should hopefully disappear on its own. It’s been 4 years and I’m 30.

Below are a few tips that have helped me get through it. Hope this helps.

• Drink plenty of water
• Eat something sugary ( I find a biscuit helps)
• Get a hot water bottle and put it on the shooting pains ( really helps)
• Take paracetamol
• Run cold water on your wrists and keep the back of the neck cool

Unfortunately I find the big culprit for me is alcohol. I do find if I have a heavy session with my mates it triggers if off and its horrible. Any questions give me a shout 

letter is spiral out of control is a hangover. I’ve had to quit red wine as it seems to a trigger :0(
Hi every one! I'm 17 years old and I've had these pains for about 3 years now. like many of you I've experienced the sharp shooting pain sensations in random places all over my body. For example I'll get one in my calf that isn't that bad and then 10 minutes later I'll have one in my head that put me on the the ground in tears. I've gone to the doctor about this and have had an x-Ray and a blood test done both coming back completely normal. My doctor is now sending me to a specialist on muscles but of course it's been four months and I haven't heard back yet and meanwhile my pains are getting more painful and more frequent. I'm scared that I'll have this for the rest of my life.  If any one knows what cause this please let me know
the electric shok I get is in the shoulders in the middle near my spine
This may not help. But wanted to put it out there in case, when I was having what felt like bad heart palpitations and tightness in my chest it ended up being bad esophageal spasms. I had foods that triggered it but that isn't nearly so bad since I quit pain meds years ago. My family has sensitive digestive systems it seems. Now I only take ibuprofen etc when I desperately need to.
I'm probably even younger than you, but I have some problems with random pains also. My issue, though, is that while I do have random pains in random places, I also get twitching, and really bad cramping (I'm a guy). The cramping got really bad yesterday. I hope that I could get some reliable answers on what might be happening
I believe the sharp, random pain twinges are caused by stress/anxiety. The twitches I get are most likely caused from sitting on the couch too long doing homework. Sometimes I strain my back or shoulders from too much homework on the couch. Twitching is caused by a variety of issues, though, stress being one cause. Cramping is usually related to dehydration and a lack of electrolytes and magnesium. I'd recommend re-evaluating what you're doing, i.e. your lifestyle, and ask a doctor to test you for vitamin and mineral deficiencies. In the meantime, try these sites:

http://www.healthline.com/symptom/muscle-twitch

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/01/19/magnesium-deficiency.aspx
Its built up anger in the body. Go somewhere and scream and yell until you're really hot and red in the face. It also works to balance out ecstacy feelings in the body. A common thread among many of you im sure, is that you are dreamer types, mostly positive, and possible people pleasers. Gritting your teeth allows you a slow, socially acceptable way of concentrating the pain in a place of your choosing. Hope this helps.
I've been an RN for years now & about to graduate to nurse practitioner. I recently have been experiencing similar sharp or burning pain twinges and it's not something I'm professionally familiar with nor know any medical professionals that could give me any good answers but my best guess is that it's some kind of circulation problem, similar to how diabetics get those types of pains in their feet. It's peripheral neuropathy, or nerve pain, caused by lack of blood flow to the nerve tissue. People with this condition are commonly prescribed Gabapentin. I personally noticed that when I am more active, my circulation is better and I get less pain. The pain gives me more motivation to stay active, go figure.
I've been suffering from these sudden pangs of pain from a long time now. Since their frequency is not alarmingly high, I never paid heed to these random concentrated pains throughout the body. I'm not sure about you but I have been experiencing these pulsating pain since childhood. They occur periodically on a part of the body for some time and then disappear automatically. The average interval between these pains has been about  over a month. The most common areas that I have noticed where they've occurred many times are, calves, shins, thighs, lower back, biceps, near temple.
Lala_pronurse, I don't think these twinges are a circulation problem. While it's possible poor circulation could be the cause for some, I'm pretty sure these are caused by stress. My circulation is healthy, and I get these twinges. Interestingly though, exercise is a stress-reliever, so I bet exercise helps some. Although, I exercise at least twice/wk and have a job that almost counts as exercise and don't seem to see any improvement with exercise. What seems to make mine go away is relaxation.

My first memory of these pains is of telling a nurse that I got them. I was about 12 years old when I told her. I explained to her that I'd been getting them for a while, but I couldn't figure out the cause. I told her exactly what they were like: sharp pains that randomly occurred in random places on my body, usually on the tops of my hands, sometimes on the side of my neck, but occasionally it'd be a different place. The pains were sharp, stabbing pains, that would sometimes slightly throb, but not hurt exactly. They were just irritating. They lasted anywhere from a short twinge to up to 30 seconds, with the shorter versions being the most common. They would occur in the same exact spots time after time. On the tops of my hands, the stabbing felt like it might be within a vein. I remember being worried there might be something stuck inside my vein, possibly a tiny clot or maybe a cluster of parasites, like bacteria or something similar. The nurse had no clue. She drew some blood to test. Results came back completely normal. There was nothing wrong with my blood. I've continued to have these pains throughout my life. I'm 28 years old now. Over the years, their occurrence has fluctuated. Sometimes I would go months without feeling a single stab, other times I would feel daily stabs. The locations of the stabs have changed over the years. Lately, I've been getting these pains constantly, happening on my chest most frequently and on my forearms and thighs next most commonly. They definitely don't seem random anymore. Their occurrence seems to be directly tied to my stress level. I'm in college, and as the semester has progressed, they have worsened accordingly. Finals week is next week; I'm positive they will subside after exams and summer break starts. They always calm down, even leave, when my life is less stressful.

I've tried to find a scientific answer to these pains for years to no avail, however, I believe they are stress-related. I found a website today that seems to be describing the symptom fairly accurately. It points to anxiety as the cause:

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety/symptoms/shooting-pains-anxiety.shtml
I get these too and my research has led me to the answer: anxiety. These sharp stabbing pains that occur in concentrated parts of the body at random times are from high stress and anxiety levels. I experienced a lot of these before big tests such as the SAT. They are caused by muscled receiving nerve signals that cause them to react in a painful way. Hope this answer helped you :)
Thank you! I got these before going to school and you have really helped me, so thank you xx
I've been experiencing the same symptoms as you but I've never had an infection or virus or really anything. It just started and I'm only 15. I get these throbbing pains and they form everywhere. They seem random though. What could I do to get rid of them. And the muscle spasms, I get them in my face too.
I'm 14 and I get these quite a lot. Due to anxiety I panic a lot more! Even an odd ringing noise now and then scares me. I like to breathe in and out. It calms me, please try. X
I have what I call &quot;Sparks&quot; in every part of my body. Even my cuticles and nail bed hurt. After holding my phone after 10 minutes, my hand freezes. It hurts bad. I know I have Lyme Disease. I&#39;m trying to also find out what this is?
I am a 60 year old male and I suffer the exact same thing.  I have for as far back as I can remember and I have a long memory.  They can happen at any point in my body.  Including my abdomen and thorax areas as well as my face, head or extremities.  They come on quickly out of no where and can last from a minute or so up to several minutes before fading away.

The cascading effect you described can happen but seems to a rare event for me. I rarely make a sound when it hits but it does make stop what ever I am doing and wait for it pass. It can occur at the same spot with multiple events. It seems to be happening more frequently these days and can wake me out of a sound sleep. It sure would be nice to learn what causes it.  
I am having exactly what you have described. Random shooting pains in random places seeming unrelated to each other . Can be in my foot for 10-30 seconds then disappear next tone in my thumb. Very strange. Not so painful its unbearable but slightly uncomfortable. Doctors have tested blood for everything cant find anything wrong! Driving me mad. Had it around a year now and Im. 27 . Anyone ever get any answers? Only happens in legs arms and neck
I'm pretty sure it's caused by stress. For me, I think it's strictly anxiety-related. I've had my random, sharp pains since before I was 12 (I'm 28 now), and they seem to correlate with my stress level. Sometimes they go away for months. It could be that it's different for others. Allergies and diseases of all kinds cause physical stress to the body, so it's possible that the stress from the illness causes something similar. I found this article today that seems to explain the symptom accurately:
It might sound crazy.. but I had all types of weird pain, last month I discovered that I have gluten sensitivity/allergy.. so I stopped taking gluten.. right now, I do not have any more weird pain happening to me..
It feels like I had slime in between my muscle fibers which was causing pain.. also was causing hyper active sinus and I had a cold almost every week!  But now I don't have any of them any more.. hope this helps!
Wow! I haven't heard anything like that before. Thank you.
i too have a a pain like this, but its short bursts almost a stabbing pain. I did a test where i tried to figure out what this problem is, heres my conclusion:
i figured out that when i ate, and laid down or sat in a funny position, i would have these pains, even hours later. I tried this and have been doing for about a week, i found this helps but doesn't fully cure it. i do hope you try this and tell me what happens, thanks -Rob
I&#39;m 22 female mother one 2  and lately for the past year and half I get shots of pain almost everywhere in my head back of head lungs chest arm lately it feel I might have a pelvic problem or appendix I have been feeling pain on my right side for three days idk does any one exactly know we all wanna kno
I have this as well and am wondering if it may be Hashimotos or a food intolerance, such as to gluten, sugar or dairy.As I know this can cause inflammation in the body.
Possibly, but I think my pains are caused by stress (check out my comment below). I think this website describes the pains accurately:

I have these same type of pains.  They are specific and localized and occur as an attack of some sort.  It is not a constant concern, but it does happen more often in recent months.  Has anyone found an answer to what causes these pain attacks?
I am 65 now and had the sharp pin pricks for 7 years from 2005 to 2011. Ruined my life. Lost my job, all my savings, my retirement--everything. Was ready to kill myself.
The pin pricks would happen anytime of the day or night, mostly on my legs and arms. Felt like they were coming from the inside out. Could not sleep, finally started taking up to 5 showers a day to relieve the constant pricks. Could not work, my mind is still exhausted from the years of stress. Doctors wanted to put me on psychological drugs--that's what they want to do if they do not know the cause. I tried every cure I found on the internet. Finally I tried several months on a raw vegan diet and the pain subsided. PURE HELL.
Yeah, I think so. I think they are caused by stress. Check out my comment below. I get them, too. I found a website that seems to describe them appropriately:

Just got it. I Googled Lexapro helps Fibromyalgia and NOW THIS SECOND I will start taking my meds again.
I'm writing this very moment with a lot of pain. I have been weaning off Lexapro but I guess I will never leave them.
These pains make me cry like a child and I didn't have them for sooooo long. Hope I am giving someone a some hope.
I'm very sorry for what you're going through. I have a similar situation but I'm affected to a lesser degree. I want to tell you all about Sahaja yoga, something that can change your life forever and I cannot stress enough on how it's the greatest of all gifts bestowed upon us. I don't know if you're a believer but it doesn't matter as long as you try it out before tossing it aside as irrelevant. It's empirical and has a complex system which is explained by logic and reason and not blind faith. Sahajayoga is meditation where a person in the state of thoughtless awareness causes the residual energy lying dormant at the base of his spine to rise up and travel through a channel where the 7 energy centers lie. As it rises up it aligns these centres or chakras into a perfect form where they resume their proper functions exerting control over the body and powering up the system to ward off diseases. This is the primordial power that remains inactive until recollected in a state of Sahaja meditation. Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi ( Mother) has taught us the practice of meditating in collectivity for the greater good of mankind. Please do not consider this propaganda as this comes from a person who was tied to her bed by her ailments until Sahajayoga came along. It will give you peace, hope and direction if you so much as give it a go. There are many frauds in the spiritual business that exhort money and distort the truth. But Sahajayoga gives you results first and then you see the truth for yourself. You establish its credentials through genuine experience that rids you of your ailments and shortcomings whatever their nature might be. I wish for people to find some reprieve where doctors fail to provide it. Anyone reading this, I want you to give it a try and see your life become better as the days of pain and suffering are left behind for a healthier, happier tomorrow. I want for us to be free of all mental strain and physical suffering and lead a life we all deserve.
HYPERMOBILITY SYNDROME.

Statistically some of you will have it and there is a simple set of initial tests you can do at home which will give you all that you need to get a referal to a rheumatologist if you're in the UK - if you're elsewhere I don't know what the deal is but at least you'll now be clued up if you meet the criteria on the beighton scale and it's on the hypermobility syndrome website linked at the bottom.

Officially called Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, but that is a terribly misnomer because it affects vastly more than the joints because it's primarily a genetic excess of collagen and collagen is the most common protein the human body - even our bones are fifty percent collagen. Statistically this is what some of you are suffering from because over a million people in the UK have it but diagnosis rates are depressingly low, with estimates ranging between 0.5 to 3% of sufferers receiving the correct diagnosis - and even then it can take years and years. It's also known as Elhers-Dhanlos syndrome type iii - hypermobility type, which is actually the old name for it.

In addition to random pain of every conceivable type appearing suddenly or slowly, anywhere on the body, lasting from miliseconds to weeks and ranging from barely noticeable to excruciating, it is an utterly horribly condition which totally controls your life if you have it bad. I only have moderate HMS but it doesn't stop there.

around 75% of people with hypermobility syndrome also have some autonomic nervous system problems,and given how many processes in your body are automatic it doesn't take long to realise that there are literally thousands of things that can go wrong: with me it's mainly vertigo and balance problems, a bladder that tells me it needs emptying every ten minutes - which has been the case since before I started school - sudden attacks of blurry vision, spontaneous attacks of fight or flight - i.e. the physical symptoms of a panic attack but in the total absence of any stressor, numerous other annoyances too many to list, but the worst of the lot is excessive sleepiness which necessitates 12-14 hours a day + usually one or two naps and I am nearly always tired. I also have chronic fatigue (not syndrome, just fatigue that was clincally chronic) for over four years but eventually got it under management with vitamin B12 Injections - and it took more than three years to get my GP to give it to me monthly, which is what I need, and that was only through the fact that I'm a professional scientist who had access to all the top medical databases and thus could present my doctor with proper medical papers rather than print-outs from "Doctor Google" and the fact that the British Council for Standards in Haemotology published new guidelines in 2014 stating that the standard test is up to 35% inaccurate.

But that's secondary stuff. In the last hour I've had acute burning pain in my achilles tendon,, throbbing/pounding ache in my left thigh, clenching in my chest - which I used to think was a heart attack every few weeks before I got diagnosed - my jaw currently feels like I've just been punched, my right knee like someone's rammed a knitting needle into it, my shoulders feel like a giant is standing on them, and my second toe on my right foot both feels like it's in a vice and the BONE is itching.

http://hypermobility.org/
I am very happy to be wrong because I have just discovered that the terminology has changed and the term joint hypermobility syndrome has been dropped.
I also have ehlers danlos syndrome hypermobility type and I get these stabbing pains (along with a thousand other symptoms) so yeah anyone reading this might want to take a look and see if it sounds like them.
I have the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure these are anxiety symptoms.

My first memory of these pains is of telling a nurse that I got them. I was about 12 years old when I told her. I explained to her that I'd been getting them for a while, but I couldn't figure out the cause. I told her exactly what they were like: sharp pains that randomly occurred in random places on my body, usually on the tops of my hands, sometimes on the side of my neck, but occasionally it'd be a different place. The pains were sharp, stabbing pains, that would sometimes slightly throb, but they would not hurt exactly. They were just irritating. They would occur in the same exact spots from time to time. On the tops of my hands, the stabbing felt like it might be within a vein. I remember being worried that there was something stuck inside my vein, possibly a tiny clot or maybe a cluster of parasites, like bacteria or something similar. The nurse had no clue. She drew some blood to test. Results came back completely normal. There was nothing wrong with me. I've continued to have these pains throughout my life. I'm 28 years old now. Over the years, their occurrence has fluctuated. Sometimes I would go months without feeling a single stab, other times I would feel daily stabs. The locations of the stabs have changed over the years. Lately, I've been getting these pains constantly. They happen on my chest most frequently and on my forearms and thighs. They definitely don't seem random anymore. Their occurrence seems to be directly tied to my stress level. I'm in college, and as the semester has progressed, they have worsened accordingly. Finals week is next week; I'm positive they will subside after exams and summer break starts.

I've tried to find the answer to these pains for years to no avail. Fortunately, there is no need to feel alone, as this is a common symptom among people. I believe it is stress-related. I found a website today that seems to be describing our symptom. I points to anxiety as the cause:

I have been told I have fibromyalgia. I take gabapentine (aka neurotin) which has reduced the attacks greatly. I do not have anxiety issues. The cause is over active nerves but no one can get rid of it just treat the symptoms. Not sure how it gets started.
Please get a test for Lyme disease western blot. You should try to rule it out since I have random stabbing pains and am confirmed to have Lyme. I got it 4.5months ago, Had two months of antibiotics, rashes went away but random stabbing remained. Not sure how to cure it yet but many people do well with antibiotics and no further problems.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.