UNDIAGNOSED SYMPTOMS
COMMUNITY
Random sharp and concentrated pains throughout body
by vitenspe, Jul 07, 2007
Since I was a teen, I have had these random sharp pains throughout various parts of my body that will occur in concentrated bursts of pain in a particular area for short periods of time. Sometimes pain will re-appear in the same area throughout the day and other times it will appear at seemingly unrelated part of my body. For example, it happened today and began with concentrated burst of pain half way up my inner left thigh. This pain would intensify which would cause me to wince in pain and then release and then repeat all over again every 5-10 seconds for about a minute. This pain did not radiate anywhere but only within a specific point. Then this same stabbing sensation occurred half way up to the first knuckle of my right middle finger about 30 minutes later. Then immediately following this finger pain I felt pain in my right foot at the joint of my middle toe. I have no idea what causes this and both of my siblings report similar type of pain issues. Friends think this is quite strange. As a teenager, everyone called these "growing pains" but I am 30 years old and don't believe this title still applies. Any ideas on possible causes? A friend of mine recommended acupuncture but of course I cringe at the thought of needles.
Member Comments (335)
by wakeybob, Jul 10, 2007
Hi I have been suffering and I mean suffering from this for about 2 years. I am 37 and have very similar symptoms to your own. I may get a burst of sharp pains in my temples usually one side, it can happen for a few seconds and repeat for a minute or so. I may get a pain in my knee and then minutes later in my finger, or shoulder or wherever it wants to be. The thing is I am a mental health nurse and keep thinking am I going mad. My partner is sympathetic but gets a bit tired of me mentioning pains 5 or 6 times a night. I'm tired all the time and don't know where to turn.I also keep thinking I'm going to die in my sleep which is making life very miserable. Has anyone any suggestions
by kmh3780, Sep 07, 2007
what have people told you about your stabbing pain issue - I am wondering myself - please let me know
by omapooh, Sep 24, 2007
I also have had these symptoms for years - random sharp shooting pains anywhere in the body.  I have an autoimmune disease called Primary Billiary Cirrosis (PBC} and wondered if these pains were due to an overlap autoimune disease.

PBC symtoms include chronic fatigue and itchiness. And although it does affect the bones and joints I dont think it is with these random attacks of pain
by Pum, Sep 26, 2007
I thought everyone got this. I certainly do and have done since my teens. I think it is a nerve thing or muscular as it sometimes (but not always) is related to some odd exertion I've done, like lifting something heavy. Stress sometimes makes it worse due to tense muscles "complaining" more when they are used. If it continues for any time or keeps coming back try a warm bath or spa. Wonderful for aches and pains.

Good luck
by Cyndi0808, Jan 03, 2008
I, too, have had these symptoms of random sharp pains in various parts of my body for several years. The frequency and intensity was increasing up until a year ago.  Suprisingly, since I started using a pharmeceutical grade, high potency, superior quality supplement regimen (not all vitamins are created equal I've found out), my symptoms have just about disappeared!!  Could it have just been a coincidence?  Maybe, but I am not going to EVER stop taking them!  If anyone wants more information on what I've been doing, just post a request and I'll give you my contact information.
by Stephanee, Jan 31, 2008
I have had these sharp pains too! I am 22 years old and just now started to get them. So thats why I looked it up on the internet. Is it normal? I don't have health insurance so I cant really get checked out. It happens at random times too. I usually pop some tylenol and it goes away. I always figure if over the counter medicine does the trick then it can't be that serious right? Am I having growing pains? Even at the age of 22???
by Laurent825, Feb 11, 2008
Hi cyndi

I am a 21 year old female and recently just started feeling like this for about 3 weeks now, It makes me nervous that something is going to happen to me or that it is a serious health issue. i have been to 2 Doctors whom where not very helpful, I was curious to know which supplements you started taking. I have been reccomended B12 and wanted to know if that was what you were taking also?
Thank you for all of your help
by Ashbash787, Feb 11, 2008

I am supirsed to have found a very recent message board about this problem. I have been having these same pains for about 6 months to a year. I just went to the doctor about a week ago and they are running some blood tests on me to see what it could be. I'm still waiting for results. But I understand how horrible and annoying these pains can be. One day i had them all over my body that i did no want to move at all. I will post my results as soon as i get them to further help anyone who is looking for answers.
by bshores, Feb 15, 2008
Hello, Much in the same here, I have had these pains for about 2 months now. It started off with walking pnumonia and then went to a serious sinus infection and now I have the sinus infection along with an ear infection that was and still is unnoticeable. I have had bad anxiety for the past 3 months that started with my job and has moved to my health as every little thing seems to make me think I am dying. I do ask that you all try this as I noticed it a week ago and have been keeping a close eye on it ever since. Pay close attention when you are doing something you love, such as eat ice cream, play video games, read etc... do you notice that it goes away until you start thinking about it more? If so your mind is just working overtime like mine and creating this illusion. Also, I have quit smoking for 1 full month now and I noticed that the pains increased big time when I did this, my bodies little way of saying add nicotine now!!! I still have the pains but they are less and less and seem to come on more when I think about them. If I come up with any other explination I will let you all know. I did hear that B12 does work. I had my blood work done complete and all came back normal as well. I will post with any other findings that I have and I encourage the rest of you to do the same so we all give each other hope and some assurance that we don't have some crazy bad disease. BTW I am 27.... if that matters.