Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath walking???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Does anyone know what would cause rapid heartbeating, extremem shortness of breath while walking at a short pace uphill? Also, in the summer time, if hiking, not necessarily uphill.
I was diagnosed with Mitra valve prolapse years ago, but I never had this problem until the last year and a half. I've also experienced a lot of dizzniess lately.
Thank you!
Cardiac insufficiency is the first thing that comes to mind.

It is very important to lie down and rest immediately if this happens again. Do NOT continue hiking.

You require a cardiac stress test, which will provide a definitive diagnosis.

Shortness of breath is usually caused by heart valves if you already have heart problems.  See your cardiologist and request an echocardiogram to make sure that the valve has not become worse.  The valves can become worse in a short period of time sometimes.  I have spoken to people who said that their valves went from moderate to severe in a matter of three months.  See your doctor.  In the meantime, try to avoid hiking and walking uphills and take it easy if you get symptoms.  Take care.
Thanks for your replies!
Is an echocardiogram the same as an EKG?
I'm worried. I hope it's nothing serious...
No. Wrong advice. Do not "Take it easy" if you have symptoms.

STOP immediately what you are doing, and preferably lie down with your feet elevated six or seven inches.

Do not move until all symptoms have abated.
Is it correct to assume that your symptoms you are describing started in 2005 or 2006 .Do you also suffer from insomnia,tachycardia,nausea,memory problems,indigestion,fatigue .and many moreThank you
No it started around 2007-2008
I have bouts of insomnia. No tachycardia, unless you consider the rapid heartbeating after walking uphill it. My Mom was diagnosed with it years ago. Don't know if it's hereditary? I also have bouts of nausea, memory loss, indigestion & fatigue.
Now I'm REALLY worried! Why the questions? Do you know what's wrong with me? :(