Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Rectal Pain and Bleeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Rectal Pain and Bleeding

I've never engaged in any sort of anal sex, but recently I've experienced pain during bowel movements and a light colored blood in the toilet and on the toilet paper. This has been a chronic issue that started a few years back. Every now and then the pain and bleeding occurs, but just recently it's gotten really bad- to the point where I don't want to eat. I've been to the doctors and they haven't been able to help.  The bleeding is light colored and the pain only occurs during bowel movements so I assumed anal fissures, but after carefully looking at it myself I noticed a little bump of skin toward the top and another bump at the bottom of my anus. I noticed the bump towards the top before I went to my doctor, but she apparently didn't see it and shrugged it off. I thought perhaps it had disappeared and she didn't seem to make a big deal about it but now that I notice two I'm not sure what it could be. I've tried drinking more water and eating more fiber enriched foods. The doctor prescribed suppositories and a cream but neither helped. I don't want to have to keep going to the doctor (and dishing out money, which I can't afford) for no answers, so before I try to see another medical person I thought here I could get some good feedback and maybe some help.

Thank you so much!

Any ideas, suggestions, or advice would be appreciated.
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Since there is blood which you can see, it is coming from the lower gut. This can happen in hemorrhoids, rectal polyps, diverticulosis (outpouchings from the bowel wall), inflammatory bowel disease, or dysentery.
In hemorrhoids the blood falls after the stool. In fissures it lines the stools. In all other problems the blood is mixed with stools.
Bright red blood and mucus mixed with stool is a symptom of hemorrhoids, which is probably what you see as bumps. There are hemorrhoidal creams available in the market which you can apply. Sit in a tub of warm water for 10 mins at least twice a day. Increase fiber in your diet. Eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, oats, porridge etc. Consult your doctor regarding this. Most doctors can diagnose hemorrhoids by clinical examination of the anal opening or by proctoscopy (inserting a proctoscope, an instrument to visualize the anal mucosa better).Even fissures can be diagnosed this way.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!