Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Rectal Prolapse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Rectal Prolapse

My wife (65 yrs. old) has been diagnosed with rectal prolapse and hemmorroids.  She was scheduled for surgery in November 2008 but the surgery had to be postponed due to other health issues (breathing).  My concern is that she has been experiencing constipation for several years, causing the prolapse.  The constipation is continuing to be a problem, limiting her to a BM about every three to four days, and when she has a BM they are very large (3 inch diameter).  It would seem to me that unless the constipation problem is resolved prior to surgery, she will tear out the repairs.  She is considering having the surgery using a spinal block since they will not put her to sleep with the breathing problem.  
Thank You
jawata
Hello Jawata,

You are right in saying that hemorrhoids and prolapsed rectum are due to constipation. But you don't have to worry about constipation after surgery. Patients are on liquids for 48 - 72 hrs and are later prescribed stool softeners till the stitches are completely healed.

However, it is better that your wife starts cultivating habits to decrease constipation so that there is no recurrence. She should take atleast 4 lit water everyday and high fibre diet. Fruits should regularly be included in the diet.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Preventing the recurrence of hemorrhoids and prolapsed will require relieving the pressure and straining of constipation. Doctors will often recommend increasing fiber and fluids in the diet. Eating the right amount of fiber and drinking six to eight glasses of fluidresult in softer, bulkier stools. A softer stool makes emptying the bowels easier and lessens the pressure on hemorrhoids caused by straining.
Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. In addition, doctors may suggest a bulk stool softener or a fiber supplement such as psyllium (Metamucil) or methylcellulose (Citrucel).” Refer: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hemorrhoids/#treatment
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care! All the best for your wife’s surgery!

I have tried eating lots of oats,banana,apples,oranges,grapefruit.spinach and broccoli but none seem to work.In addition,i drink lots of water,lots of veg,minimum meat  and play tennis 3 times a week.Each session lasts about 2 hrs.
I still get piles every time i have bowel movement which is everyday.So,what could be wrong?
Adding Vaseline on a plastic bag and applying to the anus slowly is the only way to push the pile back.Then,all is ok until the next BM.
Can anybody help?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
You probably have prolapsed piles. There is no medical treatment and no diet change can help treat it. The only treatment is surgery or laser. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please consult a surgeon.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

I am just 6 days from rectocele surgery.  I am having a terrible time with I think a bladder infection, from the catheter being put in so many times.  I have never had a catheter before, and I think that is the pain I am having, on the other hand, I haven't had a really good bm since4 days, just bits at a time..  I actually had to put on a latex glove to pull some out of the bowel.  Anyone experienced this stuff? I am getting a little depressed.
Welcome to the forum!
I am sorry to see you so depressed. Probably you also have a cystocele along with the rectocele if you have urinary problems too. Bowel problems are expected to improve after surgery. Talk to your surgeon regarding this. You may need an antibiotic cover and further investigations like a urine examination or ultrasound before the surgery. Do not worry. The problems will sort out after the surgery.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Thanks for your kind advice.Is it part and parcel of aging that we get prolapsed piles?I saw on "The Doctors" tv show that yoga might help and maybe someone with that experience can comment too!
Thank you for your concerns.  It is now 17 days since the surgery, and everything is clearing up nicely.  The bowel movement when I was home for 2 days was horrendous, tremendous pain and then the dam broke literally, and after that I started to feel a lot better.  I now just have some pressure, but a little less each day.  I did get a raging bladder infection and my md put me on an antibiotic that I have just finished today, and I will find out what the urine culture says tomorrow.
I am glad things are working out for you. Take care!
Had my 6 week checkup today and the surgery was successful for the bowel.  My urethia(sp) has a problem with a bulge.  I will be applying Premarin cream to it daily.  Catheter in the hospital was pulled out accidentally along with the balloon and we think it has caused some harm.  I will have it checked again in one month.  I did end up with two separate bladder infections after the surgery.