Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Rectal bleeding, help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Rectal bleeding, help

HI, I'm only 20 years old and recently noticed some blood in my stool, it was not necessarily in the stool but definitely a drop or two in the bowl. and then on the toilet paper it was quite red and i have no idea why. this happens about once every couple of months but this time seemed to be more than average. i've recently started dieting and losing weight and also exercising often. i eat a great diet consisting of a lot of vegetables. however, this weekend i did consume a lot of alcohol . i am also  prescribed to adderal which is a stimulant but only take about 3 times a week. I also am a smoker and have a small cold which is just a runny nose and somewhat intense cough.
It doesn't sound serious. Hard stool sometimes leaves a small cut on the rectum, and whenever you go, if it hasn't healed up, it may reopen the cut. I would recommend taking a stool softener (NOT a laxative) and seeing if that helps. If it doesn't solve your issue, you should consult a doctor.
I'd also suggest using an anti-bacterial cream or neosporin to help it to heal faster.
It sounds pretty normal. I had the same thing happening to me off and on when I was 17. Only, sometimes I would have a lot of blood in the bowl. I went to a doctor who did a colonoscopy to make sure everything was fine...it was just inner hemorrhoids that would bleed when passing stool that isn't soft.  He said not to worry too much unless you are having black and bloody stool. Hope this helps.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Since there is blood which you can see, it is coming from the lower gut. This can happen in hemorrhoids, rectal polyps, diverticulosis (outpouchings from the bowel wall), inflammatory bowel disease, or dysentery.
In hemorrhoids the blood falls after the stool. In fissures it lines the stools. In all other problems the blood is mixed with stools.
In your case its probably piles or hemorrhoids. There are hemorrhoidal creams available in the market which you can apply. Sit in a tub of warm water for 10 mins at least twice a day. Increase fiber in your diet. Eat lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, oats, porridge etc. Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. In addition you can try bulk stool softener such as psyllium (Metamucil) or methylcellulose (Citrucel).
Needless to say, consult a doctor at the earliest. Take care!