Rectal prolapse
I had an MRI and the report states "In the sagittal plane there is a significant prolapse of the rectum".  It also states "Rectal prolaspe nicely identified extending some 2-3 cm below the pelvic sling".  I am waiting to be scheduled with a colon rectal surgeon.  It surgery likely??  How long would the hospital stay and recovery be?  

Rectal prolapse normally is a medical condition wherein the walls of the rectum protrude through the anus and hence become visible outside the body. Rectal prolapse is caused by the weakening of the ligaments and muscles that hold the rectum in place. In most people, the anal sphincter is weak.

Many cases of rectal prolapse are caused by constipation or straining, but correcting these may not be enough to correct the prolapse. Most prolapsed rectums worsen without surgery.

The main treatment is by surgery. The goal of all of the surgical techniques involved in correcting a prolapsed rectum is to attach or secure the rectum to a backside (or posterior) part of the inner pelvis. Surgery is performed through either the abdomen or the perineum.If abdominal way is chosen,a stay of 3-7 days in hospital is required.If perineum is chosen,a shorter hospital stay is required.

You can read about this on : http://www.emedicinehealth.com/rectal_prolapse/article_em.htm

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.