Rectocele
I had an MRI a couple weeks ago that indicated I had a "significant prolapse of the rectum" and was referred to a colon/rectal surgeon.  The doctor reviewed the MRI with the Radiologist and told me today that I actually have a posterior rectocele and explained to me that it was not the same as a vaginal rectocele.  I do have a small bulge of tissue on the vaginal wall side but the posterior side is much larger.  She has recommended that we try Biofeedback therapy first before we consider surgery.  I can find alot of information for vaginal rectocele but not for the "Posterior Rectocele"...what is the difference?  Also - is Biofeedback Therapy something that can really make my intense pain go away.  I am 36 years old and just want/need the pain to go away so I can get my life back.

“The rectum is located just above the anal canal. Normally, the rectum is securely attached to the pelvis with the help of ligaments and muscles. This attachment firmly holds the rectum in place. Various factors, such as age, long-term constipation, and the stress of childbirth, may cause these ligaments and muscles to weaken, which means that the rectum's attachment to the body also weakens. This causes the rectum to prolapse, meaning it slips or falls out of place. Occasionally, large hemorrhoids (large, swollen veins inside the rectum) may predispose the rectum to prolapse.

Rectal prolapse is similar to, but not the same as, rectocele, which is a common condition in women. A rectocele is a prolapsed rectum that can result when the backside (or posterior) wall of the vagina prolapses.” Refer: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/rectal_prolapse/article_em.htm

Biofeedback therapy is useful in treating constipation, chronic pain, back pain, fecal and urinary incontinence. I think you can look at the link at the various treatment options available for rectal prolapse. You can also seek the opinion of another specialist. However it is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted.