Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Recurring Fever

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Recurring Fever

So over the last 5 years or so I've been having recurring fevers. I'll get them every 3-4 months and they'll last for about 4-5 days. Sometimes longer. The fever will usually reach ATLEAST 102 and recently hit 104 back in August. I'm running a fever again right now, although it is about 100.2. Nothing I can't deal with, but I'm sure it'll be higher when I wake up tomorrow.

The other symptoms are sore throat(tonsils are fine), sore and slightly swollen lymph nodes in the neck. Aches and pains. I typically will have a pounding headache that is nearly unbearable unless I'm popping ibuprofen every 6 hours.

I'll go to see a doctor once or twice a year and I've gotten responses like, oh everybody is sick right now, I'll give you some antibiotics and you should be good to go in a few days. That is usually the typical response despite the fact that I stress that NOBODY ever gets the same illness as me regardless of how much contact we have. I've kissed girlfriends during the fevers and they've never gotten sick.

One doctor actually listened and ran some tests and came up with nothing. I'm slightly frustrated because this DRASTICALLY affects my quality of life. I have to work for my parents because I can't hold a job due to getting extremely sick every few months. I've even had the illness halt vacations. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should do or what I can do.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
have you considered "typhoid fever"  (Salmonella)?
or "periodic fever syndrome".  in kids, it is treated with one dose of prednisone (steroid) at the onset of the fever.
I get my illness every month. i think i had it as a child and they removed my tonsils, it went away and came back five years ago. really bad. high fever, immobile because my glands on my neck swell up so much. i haven't had it for a while but now it has made a comeback. not so bad this time. although now i am working. i know how you feel. i'm worried that they won't understand and sack me when they realise that i'm getting ill once a month (without fail - I could set a watch by it!).

i'm off to the doctors for another crack. last time they did a few tests, no glandula fever so nothing wrong! i've done a bit of research since. periodic fever is likely, there are quite a few of them and they are genetic. most of them can be genetically tested although how accurate the tests are are still not known.

the periodic fevers vary greatly in symptoms and what has scared me is apparently most doctors don't know it exists. that's why they throw the excuses at you or tell you that your are imagining it. they don't have a clue that you can actually have the same illness every month without it being caught from someone. my husband has never been ill!

for the previous post there is research that suggests that prednisone or however you spell it can actually cause the fever to become more frequent.
hope this is helpful even if it's just to let you know that you are not alone, it's just quite rare.
Once a month would be unbearable. I had a mild fever again in April. Luckily the last 2 times haven't been very bad.

I read the symptoms for periodic fever syndrome and it seems that all of them have some sort of accompanying skin lesion or rash and stomach pain. My symptoms are more flu-like.

I suppose it doesn't affect everyone the same and it could still be that(pfs).
It seems that Periodic fever, Aphthous-stomatitis, Pharyngitis, Adenitis (PFAPA) Syndrome  is the most likely culprit out of the one's I've read. Seems to occur only in children though. I do get a sore throat and doctors often think I have strep. That seems to be a similar theme in PFAPA. It does mention that tylenol doesn't work for PFAPA, but it works great for me. I'll keep reading I suppose.
Sorry to make another post here but it seems that PFAPA has been identified in adults. Prednisone does seem to help those with PFAPA. Do a google search for Adult PFAPA.
Scratch that... a few of the patients said the prednisone increased the frequency of their illness. Prednisone did get rid of the illness within 2-4 hours upon initial treatment though.
My eight1/2 year old daughter was diagnoised last week with PFAPA after eight years of going to many doctors Some pushing antibioticts which never worked some saying " I just dont know what to do for you. It was a long road but putting a name behind her fevers every month takes a lot off my shoulders. We noticed her fevers starting around 10mo.old.  When she goes back to the Immunologist I think Predesone or taking tonsils out will be a few things discussed. I will also ask him about Cimitidine. I was told she will probably grow out of this between 13yr and 17yr. May I ask your ages and how long you have had your fevers? Im praying she grows out of this. Did you ever get tested for HyperIgD syndrome? Famila Med Fever? She had all these test done they were negative.
Hey Jo, I'm 26 years old. I had re-occurring fevers as a child but only for a couple years. They got so bad and my throat would get so swollen it would cause the croup. I had to be hospitalized a couple of times.

The fevers started reappearing in my early 20's. I'm thinking about trying prednisone next time I get sick. If it would knock out my fever within 2-4 hours that would be such a relief.

I've never been tested for either of those diseases but I've read the symptoms and neither are what I have. The symptoms for PFAPA are the exact same symptoms I have.  

Here's a recent research article on adult PFAPA- http://www.ima.org.il/imaj/ar08may-8.pdf
This just scares me to wonder, if she will have this forever. She was at the doctor today she got a perscription for Prednasone so were going to try this for the next few fever episodes to see what happens. Did your reoccuring fevers as a child come every month?
I tried that web site for PFAPA , i cant get it to come up on my computer. Im not much of a computer wiz.
I'm not really sure how often I got them. I was too young to remember. My mom said I got them a lot though. She thinks it has something to do with the immunizations cause I got REALLY sick after I got immunized.

You need adobe reader to view the site. You'll have to go to www.adobe.com and download the adobe reader first.
Next time you get a fever episode have them check your CRP blood levels that was one of the tests that gave  the DR. a clue to my daughters diagnosis.
Have you considered Chronic Fatigue Syndrome ? Recurring fever, swollen and tender lymph nodes, and pain are three of the most common symptoms of CFS.

And it is very hard to diagnose.

I had to go no line and find information on it, based on the symptoms I had, and then present a 500 page book of printed information on the subject to get my doctor to take the possibility seriously.

I'd definitely look into it if you haven't gotten a firm diagnoses by now.
you need to get into a infectious disease dr and see if you have lymphoma, look it up and see if you have the symptoms, I have had recurring fevers that reach 104 each time and they are getting more freqent started once a month last Sept now I have a few a week sometimes multiple a day with uncontrolable shaking and pain all over I feel like I am freezing then I get hot, it used to be a 2 hour ordeal now it is 6-7 hour ordeal they cant find what it is, Because of your lymphnode swelling I would get in asap to check for lymphoma, good luck
A fever is a sign of infection in the body. Since you have the problem with your throat/tonsils, it may be that they are poisoning your body and may need to be removed. Since it does clear up then reoccur, have you had an HIV test? Seek out a physician and communicate what you posted here in writing to your doctor. He/She needs to know that this is a recurring problem. Good luck. SF