Red and white burning rash
For the past 2 years(ish) I've gotten a red and white (usually red) smooth rash but it occasionally appears red and white as if I had been scratching. The rash causes a sharp burning pain, usually on my arms and legs. No creams alleviate the symptoms. I notice it seems to occur more frequently and severely after eating fruit (tomatos, orange juice) and ranges from mildly uncomfortable to something that keeps me up at night. I was tested for allergys to several fruits and citric acid and nothing showed up. Does anyone know what could be causing it?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If it is not allergy to fruits then it can be Crohn’s. Crohn’s disease is a difficult entity to diagnose. Along with gut symptoms skin disorders and arthritis too are commonly seen with Crohn’s. An upper GI series using barium dye is done to see the condition of small intestines. The degree of involvement of the large and small intestine may vary from person to person.  A biopsy is the most confirmatory. An elevated ESR, low protein, minerals and iron in blood are the other findings in Crohn’s which may or may not be present. A recent advancement in Crohn’s diagnosis is video capsule endoscopy.
Dry skin too could be a cause. This could also be urticaria or hives. The swellings or wheals produced after itching can be pale (of skin color) or red. Urticaria is usually triggered by allergens, such as drugs, foods, insect bites, inhaled substances, in response to sunlight, cold, heat, stress, exercise, or a viral infection. Other common allergens are pollen, mold, dust, pet dander, or cosmetics. Since you experienced an itch, just go over these possibilities in your mind. Something may strike you. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss with your doctor once. Hope this helps. Take care!
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.