Rhomboid muscle pain - 10 years with little relief
I have had chronic rhomboid muscle pain on the right side for 10 years, and have seen numerous MD's(MRI with no significant problem found), Chiropractors (Adjustments & pressure point message), Physical Therapists (waste of money) and a Neurologist that is currently performing acupuncture.  I self medicate with Ibuprofen, and sleep on an ice pack every night.  In addition, I lay on a baseball and roll over the rhomboid muscle while stretching to break up the spasms for some relief, the ball hits an area that feels like a rope that is in a horizontal position across the rhomboid. Pain radiates from the rhomboid up the right side of my neck, and down my right arm which includes the right shoulder.  Headaches are almost constant.
I will try anything at this point to resolve this issue; any help with this issue would be very much appreciated.
update...

i'm still improving as a result of fixing my alignment. NOTHING has helped me so much before. It's a daily commitment, but it's working.

DONT TAKE MEDICATION!

email me if you want more info. i'm no sales person. just a sufferer of this pain for way too long who wishes nobody this upon nobody.
one word.

egoscue.0

look it up. you don't have to have this pain for the rest of your life.

BELIEVE ME!
I have read all of the posts.  I am in the same boat as you folks.  Drs., Pt's, Massage, Pills, etc..... Last week I went to the gym and found this one machine that, when sitting at it you are facing a set of bars.  You reach out and pull them back, as if you were rowing a boat.  Before I actually pulled them back I just held onto them and let the weights stretch my rhombodieus muscles.  Immediately !!!!! my muscles said " awww thank you"  The rest of the day I felt great ! No headaches, no pain between shoulders, no neck pain, NO PAIN, no stiffness feeling either, I was me again and felt good that day and the next.  The third day my pain came back, so I went back and used that machine again.  And Again same results.  "awww thank you"  Felt great for two days,.  So about every two days I need to give my muscles a good hefty stretch in the rowing position.  Perhaps this can help you too !  GL
I am an LMT (Licensed Massage Therapist) and I believe what a LOT of you may be experiencing is a problem with this ligament watch this YOU TUBE video.  Find a Therapist in your area that can work on this, it requires NMT knowledge (Neuro Muscular Therapy)  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPaYIz-VUyY
Good Luck and I hope you can get pain free.
Namaste
I suffered with the exact same muscle knots and rhomboid pain for years. I found that this pain and muscle knots are only relived one way. You must stretch your pectoral's major and minor (chest). You must strengthen your entire core and chest. Your core consists of your abs, lats, traps, low back. What is happening and was happening to me is your muscle have become weak and your shoulders are most likely curving forward and appear rounded. this is pulling on rhomboid, traps and lats. The muscles of the back are having to do extra work to support your posture. A simple test is to stand in the mirror and pretend your are standing at military attention. If you have to force your shoulders into an upright position then you have the cause of your problem. You can also figure this out by having someone measure the distance in between your shoulder blades. The distance should be no more than 4 inches. When I first discovered this with my chiropractor (the 6th one) I had a 7 inch gap in between my shoulder blades. Since then I have began exercising daily mainly lifting weights and when I do cardio I move slowly (a fast walk). This is best for burning fat and support posture. Do make sure you also conciously maintain a good posture throughout the day everyday and within about 1-2 months your pain will be gone!!! :)
Hi I'm in the same boat as you guys, I used to be heavy Into body biulding and I never imagined I'd feel this bad! I'm 24 my job requires that I bend and lift heavy boxes a couple thousand times a day and the schedule I work I don't get enough rest to recover.. Eventually from all the bending a rib came out of place and I began to knot up in my back around that area. so I went to the chiropractor a few times but because of work it kept popping back out. after a while I started knotting up so bad its like the muscles in my back were like rocks and now I'm starting to feel soreness in my abs and getting headaches from the tension in my neck.. I've used Advil, Tonic water and muscle relaxers with little relief, its almost like I'm turning to stone! I believe because of the tight spot in my back and exhausting myself from work I have begun to slouch alot without noticing it witch doesn't help I'm sure.. but this weekend I am going to a massage therapist and a good chiropractor for Xrays etc. I going at it full force with fingers crossed.. If I get anywhere I'll be sure to post it!
I've had the same problem on and off for years and have tried many different things.    A massage therapist tried to "iron out" the spasm/lump one time.   It didn't help much.   A hot shower on the spasm would loosen the muscle and help some.    What finally helped me was to drink more water, and taking potassium supplements.

Potassium is a mineral the body uses in part to help muscles expand and relax.    If you are also dehydrated, your muscles will have a tendency to contract too.   Following these two tips should do wonders.  

It is entirely concievable that for 10 years you've been dehydrated and low on potassium.  When I work out, I perspire alot.  I also drink alot of diuretics (coffee).   Sweating and drinking diuretics eliminate potassium and water from the body.        Good Luck.   P.s.   I did a word search and noticed no one used the word potassium, so I hope this is the answer many people are looking for.  It worked for me big time.
I had to check your post to make sure I hadn't written it at some point and time before. I have been suffering with the exact same symptoms, same area, even the lump across my back. The only difference is I have been going thru this for close to 30 years. Dibilitating constant daily pain, begging doctors to help me. I have gone thru 2 surgeries that did absolutely nothing for me. I started researching the internet and came up with lipomas, which is what I think mine may be. I don't know if you've even heard of that, but when I read what you said about the rope like bumps across your back I had to respond. I will be having another surgery right after Christmas to remove the lipomas or least know for sure what the lumps are if they are not lipomas. I'm scared, but I'm so ready to be out of this pain and I feel much more hopeful about this surgery. I hope you get some help soon. Good luck!
First of all, all the people that tell you--
Oh, mind-over-matter, and all that, are clearly not having
this type of pain. I was flat on my back 10-20 hrs a day,
trying to get still enough for the spasms to stop.
Anyway, after over 17 years of this, i think it might be resolved
through cervical fusion c5-6 and finally, an ultra sound-guided
nerve block in my supra scapular nerve.
I had a nerve block prior to fusion that was
not worth the ordeal. So I don't know if it's the fusion,
the ultra sound- accuracy, or what, but I believe I have relief.
I'm going to the post office now bc I think i can actually navigate
the planet instead of hiding from pain in my bed.
Happy holidays!
There is a God!
Move to Arizona. Just vacation there for two weeks. You will be amazed. No moisture, no pain.
Ok here goes Debbie from Jersey .. Has already had neck surgery C5-6 and Rotatar cuff surgery and now .. My muscle trapezius hurts so bad .. I can not sleep and loss the use of both hands and arms go numb !!  .. Any thoughts from anyone ??
Can you give us an update as to how your pain is now and waht has worked for you?
I have had pain in upper back for three years now. It started when I was studied for an exam - sat on table but my head bent forward - did this for couple of months. The pain in almost incessant, although doesnt wake me up from sleep. The only thing I do - excercise (and ice packs sometimes).
I do a lot of stretches (but not much strenghening). the muscle effected is rhomboid. I started physical therapy 2 years ago but not much relief. I have continued to do those exercises and hope that one day i will be in less pain. I hav curtailed my social life severly and go out only for work.
Sounds like you need to find an LMT (Licensed Massage Therapist) that knows what she/he is doing. Someone with triggerpoint and mayofacial release experience. I am an LMT and I deal with this issue in my clients daily. Best of luck!

Sorry to hear about your unending quest to find a solution. If I may suggest, having had a similar issue that lasted a couple of years - I finally went to see a sports massage therapist. It worked wonders. Turned out it wasn't actually the rohmboid that was the issue. It was more pectorial (chest wall) and the muscles along my right side ribs. She hit a couple points that caused burning hot pain that went clear to my toes, but it did the trick. I think I went for a total of 4 one hour sessions (one per week). I must advise you though - it will hurt when they are doing it. Take a bit of ibuprofen or tylenol before and put Voltaren cream on after. You will bruise, but that heals. The pain is worth the try. Hope this helps. I know how awful it can be - it can be triggered simply by sitting at a desk too long or playing on a computer.

Best of luck!
OVER DEVELOPED CHEST!!!!!
STOP STRETCHING YOUR BACK ENTIRELY
STRETCH YOUR CHEST INSTEAD.
START STRENGTHENING IT WITH WEIGHTS
I HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR 7 YEARS ON LEFT SIDE , DID EVERTHING PEOPLE DESCRIBED ABOVE. DIDNT WORK.
LAST YEAR MOVED TO RIGHT SIDE TOO AND I FLIPPED OUT. HAD TO TRY TO SLEEP UPRIGHT IN A CHAIR FOR MONTHS, PAIN WAS SO BAD LYING DOWN.  WAS ON EVERY PAIN KILLER, EVEN STARTED TO DRINK HEAVILY AND SMOKE WEED TO KNOCK ME OUT. READ ENDLESS ******** OVER ENDLESS SLEEPLESS NIGHTS ON INTERNET. SEEMS EVERYONE IS FOLLOWING EVERYONE ELSE.
EVENTUALLY GOT THE ANSWERS FROM THESE FORUMS BUT ONLY FROM NOT LISTENING TO THE MAJORITY AND GOING WITH THE ABOVE IDEAS SUGGESTED BY 2 OR 3 PEOPLE OUT OF A HUNDRED.
AS SCARY AS IT SOUNDS I STARTED TO DO BENT OVER ROWS SETS OF 2-4 , 20 REPS. AT THE SAME TIME I STOPPED ALL BACK STRETCHING, AND STARTED VIGOROUSLY STRETCHING MY CHEST.
IF YOU HAVE A ROUNDED BACK, OVER DEVELOPED OR EXTRA STRONG CHEST/WEAK BACK,  MY BELIEF IS STRETCHING OR MASSAGING YOUR BACK WILL MAKE THIS PROBLEM WORSE.
HOPE IM HELPING, IM NOT QUALIFIED IN AN HEALTH AREA JUST SO YOU KNOW. JUST GOT RID OF SEVEN YEARS OF HELL IN ABOUT 2 WEEKS. THIS WAS AROUND 6 MONTHS AGO NOW. I HAVE STARTED DOING ALL WEIGHTS AGAIN AND DO NOTICE VERY SMALL REMINDERS OF PAIN IF I WORK MY CHEST TO HARD AND MY BACK NOT ENOUGH.
IF I DO TWICE AS MUCH BACK EXERCISES AS CHEST AND NEVER DO POWER FOR CHEST (KEEP REPS HIGH) IM FINE.
HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE. THANKYOU FOR YOURS TO THE FEW THAT HELPED ME...you saved my live.
man am  I  glad I found this web sight , I thought I ws the only one suffering from this dreadful pain  i ve been suffering from this pain close to 20 years ,  I tell other people, Dr s or who ever would listen but they don t get the pain we go through on a daily basis , i ve all types of treatments but nothing has helped , I ve stopped smoking stopped drinking i ve dropped weight but the pain still persist on a daily basis sometimes I get the spasm that go along with my pain and that really ***** , all i do is stretch by back all day hoping to get that 2 minute relief  , anyways  thanks for all the advice ,i guess the fight continues if anyone knows of other treatments or what has worked for them I would love to here it, @ this point  I ll try anyting   . Thanks again  
I developed a similar problem after being rear ended. My entire upper back was in constant spasm. I could not lie down and headaches were intense. To make a long story short, I finally found an orthopedist who really understood spinal MRIs. He told me flat out I needed a cervical fusion (C4-C5) even though previous MDs had looked at the same MRI, either stating that the disc bulge was not responsible for my back pain or being equivocal about it. As soon as I woke up from the anesthesia, I could feel the back pain was gone. Don't give up. Find the right orthopedist or neurosurgeon.
Hi there! You have it all right!
The rhomboids are continous with the serratus anterior muscles of the lateral chest wall. Tension in one of the mentioned muscles will surely create problems in the other.
The serratus itself lies on the chest wall under the huge pectoralis major and the smaller pectoralis minor. The minor attaches to the scapula pulling it front and up while the rhomboids would pull the scapula back. The serratus would also pull the scapula front as in extending the arm to punch. Get the idea? Muscle groups working in opposite fashion. Get one of them overworked/extended/tensioned and the opposite guy would scream in pain sooner or later.
I too suffer from this condition. I can tell my pectoralis is too stiff, ditto the smaller coracobranchialis (also pulling the scapulla forward). Poor rhomboids are just gasping for air! Step one would then be to relax the front side of the body, then work on the back side relieving strain.
Just my 2 cents...
I have been following this thread long before the post I made Jul 02, 2011.

Due to the dramatic improvement in my condition over the last few months, I thought I should report back here.

I did a fair bit of research on inflammation, and my understanding is that it is caused by a build up of acid in the blood. An acidic pH level of blood can be caused by a range of different things, such as stress and more commonly, the food we eat. Alcohol is also a big contributor.

One sign of acidic blood is a tendency to feel cold. I know that is certainly the case with me. Another sign of acidic blood in muscle inflammation at points of stress or exertion. Bacteria also thrives in acidity.

I have had a significant improvement in my rhomboid inflammation by cutting out the acidic foods, and alkalizing through a GREEN DRINK. A green drink is a powdered wheat grass, barley grass, spirulina. Tastes horrible, but when mixed with fruit juice is tolerable.

You want to avoid acidic foods like dairy, beef, chicken, fish, pork, peanuts, and drinks like coffee, tea, beer, spirits, orange juice, and substitute those for dried figs and green vegetables, as well as water, herbal tea, and your own freshly made vegetable juice from celery or other green vegetables.

I have done this and the improvement has been incredible. It had gotten to the point where I was contemplating on going on hardcore pain killer medication, but the change of diet and introduction of the green drink has worked wonders.

I'd highly recommend people go to the health food store and pick up some green drink. It will work wonders for you.

Try this website to determine how acidic or alkaline your diet is, and whether you need to make a change:

http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/Alkaline-Foods-Chart.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Live-Pain-Without-Drugs-Surgery/dp/0983138311/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340467583&sr=1-1&keywords=lee+albert

This technique taught by Lee Albert in Massachusetts can help tons!  He teaches you to UNSTRETCH overstretched, overused muscles.  To let them relax.  It's the opposite of stretching.  It works for many many people (myself included).  Hope this helps =).
I too suffered from severe rhomboid/upper back pain: knots between my spine and shoulder blades, headaches, etc.  For the longest time I would strectch my back thinking that was the problem. Long story short, I married a PT and she suggested stretching my chest instead. Place your arms at right angles fingers pointing up, like signaling a field goal. Put your forearms and hands on a door frame or on walls at an unobstructed corner of a room. Lean into your hands, allowing your chest muscles to strech out. It's very painful at first. After performing this stretch every night for a few weeks my pain went away....for good. No surgery, pillls, etc.... The root cause, as some have alluded to above, was overuse of my chest and overstretching of my back. In college where the problem started, I'd always work out my chest (beach muscles) and spent hours in front of a computer with my arms extended. This continued after college, big chest work outs and 10 hours a day at a computer. Now with nightly stretching and working out my back as much as my chest I'm pain free.
I've been checking this thread for some time now. Just like the majority I have a rhomboid pain that robs me quality time in my life.  For 5 years now, what started as a pain that woke me up progressed to a 24/7 torture. I tried everything too from Chiro, PT, Massage Therapist, Pain Management Specialist, Rheumatoid Specialist, and all sort of specialist.  I even tried faith healer in desperation.  All sorts of ointment, oil, patch, penetrex, hot and cold compress, spray, breathing exercise, meditation, massage chair, pillows and a lot gadgets were bought and tried. Some would give a relief but nothing would last for a long time, only temporary relief. I've bought numerous self-help books of Gokhale, Tanner, Vijay Vad to name a few.

Only Vicodin helps. But i know it's side effect, it's habit- forming, behavior changing effect and havoc it does to the liver. I don't want to but it's the only one that helped.  We sufferer all know this lesser evil decision we have to take.

My last medical attempt is 3 sessions of Epidural Steroidal Injection. A quite popular procedure now. It was done with my pain management doctors suspicion that the trouble lies on cervical stenosis that showed on my MRI. He suspect it's pinching the nerve.  I'm kinda hesitant for rhomboid pain is not really a classic symptom of cervical anomaly. You can search the internet and would find a table with  c1- c8 problem with corresponding symptoms.  But like most sufferer, you would try anything for a relief. Sadly ESI procedure didn't help at all. Now I'm pushed to see a surgeon. I would not do it for I deduce that although there really is a cervical herniation, I don't think it's the culprit.  If it is, ESI should have taken care of it. Plus a lot of medical opinion states that surgery wouldn't really help if what you're experiencing  is only pain, no weakness, muscle atrophy or any other anomaly.

Here comes this unconventional therapy I got abroad.  It's not medical but a mix of oriental medicine with unexplained wonders. It did magic! I had it June 20 and instantly my pain is almost gone! I'm an engineer and had a training of being pessimistic. I need to find a reason for everything. There is a scientific explanation for everything and that's how I've been thought. But what I had is again, let me use the word- magic.

I still take vicodin, feel something strange on my body as a whole, maybe my it my system asking for vicodin. For 4 years or so, i know I can't withdraw it cold turkey. But for 2 weeks now I'm taking half the dosage. 10-325mg cut in half every 8 hrs or so.

If anyone is interested in trying or wants to know more of the treatment that I've got, I'm willing to share. Send me an email address and I could sent more details and pictures of my treatment.  I couldn't give no 100% assurance that what happen to me would work on you but this is not faith healing I assure you. He says he doesn't need you to believe to cure.  He just need 3 treatments at the most and you will be cured.

I am a chronic sufferer and I just want to help. My email address is ***@****.
I've been doing body alignment exercises for over a year now and my body is getting even closer to feeling like new again. Read my previous posts. I had it really bad. Couldn't even hold my iPod for more than 10 seconds without feeling sharp pain up my arms/shoulders.

Buy this book and your pain will literally start going away. Not immediately, but your RSI didn't start immediately either. It took years to get this bad. So it's only right to understand it will take time to get better.

Pete Egoscue - Pain Free at your PC

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553380524/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=bestportair0d-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=0553380524&adid=0A435YFSNFDDPJSH4SF3

Email me: I'm living proof this thing works.
A related discussion, SOLUTION!!!!  I found RELIEF after 13 years! was started.
I came across this discussion thread a few days ago.  I normally don't like these types of boards since they seem to be pages and pages of problems but no solutions.  So I hope I can offer a solution for at least one person here who is suffering.   I have had recurring chronic pain in my right upper back rhomboid area and shoulder area for about 13 years.  Without going into all my personal history, suffice it to say that I have dealt with SEVERE pain.  The only "injury" I could ever relate it to, although it didn't start until years later, was a minor car accident where I had my hand on the horn and someone hit me from the front and my arm jammed up into my shoulder - "minor" but caused some strain at the time that honestly went away after a few months.  Years later, sitting at my desk, my rhomboid locks up.  I'm an accountant and tend to hunch over my keyboard and desk - good ergonomics but still occasional bad habits.  Sever pain that occasionally gets "better" - more tolerable - but never clears up.  After a big flare up and the worst pain I have had in years that flared up right after Christmas, I decided to get this resolved once and for all, whatever it takes.  I have been going to a new massage therapist for about 6 weeks who has been eager to work with me to resolve this problem.  Last night, BREAKTHROUGH.  Major breakthrough.  MAJOR.  After talking through changes I had over the last week, and starting in the Rhomboid area for a few minutes, she focused most of the time on the subscapularis. I have had LOTS of deep tissue, sports therapy type massage theraphy over the years, but when she found the deep spot in this muscle, I thought I was going to hit the ceiling. I breathed through it but it was intense.  The intensity of the feeling radiated down my arm into my wrist (where I have been having pain that I thought was due to another problem, but NO - it is related!!! http://healingconsciously.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html ).  After at-length work on this subscapularis muscle from different angles (I could tell it was difficult for her), she was finally able to get the point to release.  Then she started working on its connection point, where an entirely different intense feeling resulted, but finally also released.  She would move away and come back, but ultimately it released.  Afterward, when she rotated my arm to stretch it above my head, I LAUGHED OUT LOUD - it felt so good, and the range of motion was better than I have had in years.  I didn't even KNOW it was that bad.  This morning, I still have some tightness in the Rhomboid area, but the entire area feels "released" - that is the only way I know to explain it.  Some soreness from the treatment, but just loose and released and MOSTLY PAIN FREE.  I AM SO THRILLED.  My husband couldn't believe how giddy I was when I got home last night - he has seen me suffer with this - the incredible relief I felt was so overwhelming to me, I cried!   I immediately searched "subscapularis release" online when I got home - I found the link below -  VERY INTERESTING READ THAT LINKS RHOMBOID AREA PAIN TO THE SUBSCAPULARIS issues and IT IS OFTEN OVERLOOKED as the culprit because of the intense pain in the Rhomboid area!  I hope it helps some of you.  I will continue this treatment over the next few weeks and repost if anything changes.  Good luck!    http://www.gcmt.org.uk/Portals/0/documents/Subscapular_Work.pdf
Hello everyone!

I have had a similar issue for over two years now and I just found a SOLUTION.  I have not seen anyone mention cortisone shots but I just got three in my upper right rhomboid and felt immediate relief.  I have heard that this might be short lived if I do not continue to think about my upper right rhomboid region every day.... I plan to think about it though and fix it!  It might sound weird... 'thinking about it every day' but I believe it will be the only way to permanently solve the problem... at my desk where I sit from 8-5... when I am sitting at a nice dinner and want good posture (hopefully without it aching constantly)... when I am playing volleyball.  Hopefully I'll be able to run again soon.

My doctor could tell immediately that my right shoulder leans more forward compared to my left.  He was so awesome.... finally someone who listened to me and didn't try and sell my on pain meds or months of PT... he went straight to the problem and offered immediate relief.

After traveling to Europe for work, and carrying god knows how many bags, I laid down and felt a weird ache on my right side.  It has progressed and for over two years... now here I am.  It has been a constant ache, worsens with stress, and moves up to my skull causing headaches.  My 2013 resolution was to stop complaining about it and DO SOMETHING.  I had seen two doctors previous to this guy who did not listen... I finally found the right doctor!!!

I can keep you all posted on my status with the cortisone.  I had three shots injected last night and my muscles around the area are still sore, but I also feel great relief.  You must wait three days before you do any strenuous physical activity.  I think the cortisone shots coupled with physical therapy and possibly the use of a posture shirt AND ICE will be the key to keep the pain away.  

Cortisone shots in this region do not hurt all that bad... the doctor and nurse who was there (due to me being a little nervous about it) could see my muscles spasm-ing right away.  In two lower spots my muscle was so tight, the needle was slightly vibrating because the muscle did not want to let the needle in.  IF YOU HAVE NOT TRIED CORTISONE, DO IT!

I have been reading this for about a year now, waiting for solutions.  I hope I have provided a hopefully long(er) term solution for some of you out there.

Cheers to no more pain.

Hi everyone! I have bee dealing with chronic Rhomboid Pain for 2 years now and I think I have FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTIONS...which you need to try if everything else has FAILED, meaning these did NOT work ( rest, ice, PT, muscle relaxers, anti inflammatory medication, Cortisone injections, massage, chiropractor, acupuncture, etc)

Here are the BEST/MOST EFFECTIVE Rhomboid therapies:

1) Buy a Saddle chair -  Especially if you sit all day at work on in school. You can find them on Amazon.com. It will help with your posture by bringing your shoulders & your neck back to take pressure off your rhomboid.

2) Sleep on your BACK-  with a piece of FOAM cut out to fit underneath  your UPPER BACK to support your Rhomboid. Then elevate your legs by putting pillows or a bolster under your knees. This position will allow your rhomboid to heal at night & will be the most comfortable position to rest in.

3) Find a Sports medicine Doctor- These are the ONLY types of doctors that MIGHT have seen a Rhomboid tear in their entire career, its very rare for even sports medicine doctors to have seen or treated it, So make sure you call around and see if you can find one who has treated a Rhomboid injury before, or just specializes in soft tissue & muscle injuries)

3) S3 POSTURAL BRACE-  Ask the sports medicine doctor to prescribe you a "S3 POSTURAL BRACE" this is brace that is made to help stabilize your Scapula so your Rhomboid can stabilize and heal. The reason Rhomboid injuries take forever to heal is because they are almost impossible to immobilize, but this brace is a total break through and will help tremendously.Google it to read more about it. You can just order them online as well, but they are around $400.

4) Neural Prolotherapy-  Find a sports medicine doctor who performs "neural Prolotherapy" and or "Prolotherapy". These are new injections that will eliminate pain & induce the injury to actually heal. google Neural Prolotherapy & traditional prolotherapy and read up about what the injections do exactly. They are NOT cortisone injections, which if you do have a real Rhomboid injury, cortisone injections wont work because there is barely any inflammation when it is injured because the Rhomboid muscle lacks blood supply.

5) Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections- If the Neural prolo injections did not work then the sports medicine doctor can do PRP injections. Google PRP and read up about it as well. PRP, along with Prolotherapy, is a break through therapy that professional athletes use all the time  and the results are amazing.

* Enjoy feeling better :)

S3 posture brace!!!!! They are $350 but you can get a doctor to write a prescription for it :)
C6 & c7 issues with pinched nerve. Lots of deep tissue work, chiropractic, and physical therapy. 6 weeks I'm better. Will need constant maintenance with stretching, water exercise, core strengthening for proper posture-yoga also seems to help. No more hunching over a computer for hours on end-EVER
A related discussion, Wow. I'm NOT alone... was started.
Very close to your heart. I have thought about botox. That is the only thing I am concerned with. It sounds perfect. Just FREEZE THAT MUSCLE! INCREDIBLE CONSTANT PAIN!  I purchased a TENS 3000. It works fairly well most of the time. I sometimes have first degree burns on my back and neck. The burns do not hurt as bad as the muscle tension. Flexeril or Tizanidine helps in 2 mg doses. Any more of a dose and it makes me sleepy. Best of luck!, Stuartthehairdresser21
***@****
I suffer from a similar issue here. Does anyone else have leg twitching and tingling? They also feel very uncomfortable like Restless leg syndrome. Where the tingling and twitching greatly worsens through any kind of exercise, stretching or basically anything that causes stimulus to the upper back?

Most of you guys doubtfully have a rhomboid tear. But most likely ligament laxity in an underlying rib beneath the rhomboids. Ice, Ibuprofen and cortizone should be avoided like the plague. As they all hinder and halt inflammation and blood flow which is what heals injuries.

The only way to heal lax ligaments is prolotherapy. Although even that now a days is weakened by laws and regulations. It seems now prolotherapists will cap you off at 4x less solution then what you actually would need. I hate this planet.

@kmc1444

Ive found this most effective way to sleep but never thought of putting the foam under the upper back. What type of foam/size/thickness?

If a doctor prescribes this, do you not still have to pay for it like any other prescription?
Hi, I posted about a year ago that cortizone shots worked... they don't in the long term.  I was super excited but WRONG.

I ended up going to PT, with a great therapist, who used this technique 'joint therapy' i think it what its called.  If a chiro adjustment is a 5 then this joint therapy is a 3.  The PT pushes down on your back which isn't comfortable, but it definitely reduced inflammation and made my right side more mobile.

Also, Rapid Release Therapy (RRT) is amazing, it reduces scar tissue that builds up from staining the rhomboid.  

After seeing this PT for about 9 months, once a week at least, I definitely improved.  He recommended exercises to strengthen my shoulder as well.

However, now my insurance changed, and its a little more expensive to go.  Its been several months, and im starting to have pain again after trying to work out hard 4 times a week.  I think you just have to keep at strengthening the right muscles to protect your rhomboid.  I have a volleyball tournament on Sunday that I'm going to have to medicate myself for :-(

I wish there was a surgery for this issue.
I am 37 years old and have experienced the same symptoms as you.  I have a giant knot o my left rhomboid and costochondritis.  Have you tried yoga?  I swear by it.  You will most likely benefit from talking with a counselor and may find that some of your symptoms are stress-related.  Your doctor must believe you have fibromyalgia and gave you Cymbalta for that reason.  Conventional medicine failed me because I have a problem that doctors can't really treat.  Try practicing a wonderful thinking method called  "mindfulness ".  You are just staying present in the moment while doing your everyday activities such as eating and taking  your time while doing it.  You savor every bite and chew slowly. It is a great way to manage pain.
Over 15 years with this.
Someone jumped on my back while I was lifting.
Then years of guitar playing and mouse work.
Five years ago it came on with a tennis injury followed by a year of backpacking.
And all through I have used the same right shoulder to carry every rucksack, laptop etc etc etc
Now 18 months of baby lifting.
Oh and cheese, red meat red wine - and a lot of it!

My right rhomb/trap has now gone crazy and the pain has started to spread. I have had good sports massage and stretching advice. But after reading this incredible post I take away:
- Pec stretching
- Pilates
- Acupuncture
- Dairy
... I am determined to start the first three as soon as possible but giving up the dairy and red wine I just cannot face. I've got some Lebanese red and gorgonzola on the go right now to take my mind off the spasms;)

WOW- I have had a work injury October 2012 and slipped as an RN on the job. I have had so many people tell me I would get better right away. Depressed, I went back and tried to work for six months in a non- driving- more managerial position. It got worse and ended in more chronic pain, working with workman compensation and them not paying my practitioners, and Dr's saying- no medical way of diagnosing. ?? Now out since September.

I read about ultrasound and want to connect on that and ask if anyone used this method and if it showed anything medically.

My mind does not work well with this pain at times. I really feel frustrated working in the system and share in many of you and your thoughts. .

I also want to use solutions listed. I felt so isolated and now I have a community to walk with- and this is a relief. The pain is so bad. I am not working.  I thank you all for posting and will follow all the leads- yes- it is so difficult. I do feel sane reading about all these posts.

Thanks-
I have been having a lot of extreme pain in my shoulder blade as well which radiates also.  When it gets in a tight spasm I can't wash dishes or stir anything because it aggravates the area and makes the pain and spasm worsen.  I saw doctors for 3 years and got nowhere, just got pain pills with anti-inflammatory med., and use ice bags. It gives relief for a little while and then comes back.  I have a tens unit I use on the rhomboid muscles and it helps better.  My doctor finally sent me to a osteopathic doctor and when I told him what my symptoms were he immediately checked around my rhomboids and my ribs.  He discovered that I had a rib out of place and the rhomboid muscles were in a locked spasm as a reaction to trying to hold the rib in the position it had slipped to. He put my rib back in place and gave me shots in the rhomboid muscles to help release the locked spasm. The rib had been out of place for 2 years and nobody had caught it till I saw him, so the rhomboid muscles were stretched out further than they should have been holding the rib in the new position it had slipped into.  I felt relief very quickly after he put the rib back in place, it made a big difference.  Maybe you should see if you have a rib out of place too.  Worth checking out.
wow this is really depressing to read. I've been having pain in my rhomboid and lat for almost a year now. I'm only 23 and I've given up on all the activities I've enjoyed. I feel my youth slipping away and I'm starting to feel hopeless. A life of pain is not one I want to live.

Prior to all this pain I had lost a lot of weight, began a fairly physical job (but no overly strenuous) lifted weights regularly and intensely as well as taking long walks with my dog. I had aspired to be doing physique competitions by as well as pursing a career in personal training (which I have a certification for).

Know, I have given all of that up. I don't workout because of the pain, I don't work because of the pain, I can't even walk a slow mile without a lot of discomfort. I'm about out of money and out of hope. My days are spent in bed or on the couch. I've gained most of the weight back and lost all the muscle I had gained.

After about a month of being in pain and resting I went to see a orthopedic, who brushed it off as a pulled muscle. After more rest I tried going back to the gym, but was still in a lot of pain.

Next I saw a chiropractor and didn't do anything for about 5 weeks. The adjustments seemed to help temporarily. At my first visit he said the first five ribs on the left were out of place (the side my pain was on).

Next I saw another chiro who focused on doing active release therapy and gave me some physical therapy type exercises to do at home. This also gave me some temporary relief.

From about October To mid December of 2013 Is the most active I've been in a year. I was able to lift weights and do cardio. I still had some pain and had to be careful about what exercises I did, but I thought in time it would work itself out.

Then about mid December the pain flared back up, and hasn't had much relief since. I went back to the original chiro, who once again, said my ribs were out of place. This seemed to be consistent with the type of pain I was having.

I did research about slipped ribs, and learned that chronic slipped ribs will damage the tendon that holds them in place. This led me to investigating prolotherapy, which will help heal the tendons.

My first stop for this was a pain management clinic, who at first prescribed muscle relaxers and physical therapy, neither or witch helped. After a second visit she wanted to give me a cortisone injection, which I declined. A dead end.

After doing more research, I found a doctor who specializes in prolotherapy and is actively doing research in the field. I have had to treatments and it hasn't provided me much relief.

Right now I'm at a total loss, I'm fat and out of shape. I've started doing some light weight and residence band exercises at home as well as walking. All of this still causes pain.

This whole experience has left me in shock and disbelief at the state of our current health care and our knowledge in treating pain. Most of it seems to be a money grab backed by little to no science. Most of the Doctors I have seen have been overconfident in their abilities and unable to deliver anything other than some voodoo treatment, and I'm talking about mainstream medicine as well as homeopathic.  

I've had rhomboid pain for 34 years.  It has driven me to absolute madness.  The madness stopped when I got something called a Theracane.  You can get them on Amazon.  You use it to dig into the exact spot where the pain is originating from.  The next day the pain is gone.  It has saved my life.

A related discussion, Is it not insane that we cannot figure this out? was started.
A related discussion, Rhomboid pain was started.
Here is my story.  20 years ago, I flipped a car over and damaged L4/L5.  Short story: mentally shut the pain off and would have a damaged spine.  Worked fine.  Every few years, I would have a flare up that would immobilize me for a few weeks, but it wasn’t that bad.  This year I got into a sport that took a toll on my body.  I was lofted and fell from 40 feet to the surface of a lake.  Internally bruised my ribs, but nothing broken.  I have a grade 2-3 AC tear, and Labral superior and posterior tear and tennis ad golfers elbows.  Started rehab.  At same time, I continued some construction work.  I threw my back out for the first time.  Couldn’t move for 10 days.  Mt PT manipulated my back and I felt a snap.  Within the same day or two, back pain subdued and then I fell on ice.  
So for the first time, my rhomboid was in pain.  This has been constant for 2 weeks.  Went to acupuncturist. I now have pectoral spasm, lat spasms, and back spasms.  My tricep, forearm and fingers feel pain . I sleep maybe 3 hours a night and take pain meds….I hate pain meds, but it so hard to deal with.  I have read all these posts and have just bought, but yet to have delivered, wheat grass, all the recommended books, neck door traction unit, magnesium and potassium.  I have pretty much stayed I bed the last 10 days and am sick of it.   My question:  Has anyone said “the hell with this!”…And just pretended it didn’t exist and start an active life again?  I look in the mirror and my muscles have gotten smaller, less defined.  This cant be good fro healing.  I have stretched my pecs the last 3 days.  Still wake up in agonizing pain.  As I write, my pec is spasming with no relief.  I put an ice pack on 3 times a day and rub ketamine and some anti-inflammatory lotion on as well.  
For me, I think I can narrow it down to back manipulation.  I was in pain, but didn’t feel this pinched nerve stuff until my back was manipulated.  I will go get more x-rays, MRI’s and ultrasounds and see if I have a herniated disk, or if a rib was misplaced from my fall.  My guess is that is I cant get a disk fusion, I will have to find other alternatives, but I am at my breaking point and am about to just try to get into a workout routine ad try my best to ignore that pain.  Anyone take this route?

UPDATE:

I have been stretching my pecs religiously for the last 4 days.  I have NOT been stretching my back/rhomboids deliberately.  I am also icing 5 times a day.  I have gotten so much better!!

I have gotten very sick...probably from lack of sleep.  I routinely wake up after 3 hours in pain(with or without pain meds).  For the last 2 days out of 4 I have not used pain meds.  And with pain meds yesterday, I actually got 6 hours of sleep.

All of this is pretty incredible if you are experiencing pain.  Today, I also had my second appointment with accupuncturist.  He did not give me accupuncture due to me being sick, but shot both rhomboids (evethough only one was the issue) with magnesium and a few other things.  This too seemed to help....later, I slept mid day for 5 hours...WITHOUT pain meds.

So, I am still awaiting all my supplements and will continue with all above...just wanted to say I really think the stretching helped A LOT.  

It was however and still is a bit strange because my left shoulder is messed up, I really didnt feel any chest muscle on my left side stretch and still dont, but continue the exercises.  This could very well because of the muscle tears I have.  Dont know.

I have also tried to sleep with a pillow under my upper back, attempting to stretch my chest out at night, but that didnt seem to help and caused more pain.

Good luck all
I have had chronic Rhomboid pain for 6-7 years in which I had very bad migraines. I was popping Tylenol and ibuprofens like they were tic tacs and agu ally chewing them since my head hurt so bad. Well I finally have found some relief. My Chiropractor has been using a rehabilitative technique call the Graston Technique. It's pretty painful while the treatment is happening but it relieves the tension held in these muscles and breaks up any scar tissue that I built up from damaging the muscles through lifting and even working on a computer day to day.  It turned out my muscles actually locked Together and would not release around my neck and rhomboids resulting in a suboccipital (tension) headache. It would constantly come back with even the slightest chewing, tension, salt or random times. The Graston technique so far has saved my sanity and I've only been through the first week.
I have had shoulder reconstruction 9 months ago. is it safe to have a massage on trapezius muscles and rhomboids/?what would be the treatment options? would a massage therapist be suitable? Please help?
Sounds like you have a torn muscle. Most Doctors will tell you that there is nothing to do for this. But, I have done some research because I did not believe them. With all of the medical advances, some thing can be done, right! Well, I found one Doctor so for that repairs and replaces torn muscle.
Doctor Michael George in Chicago Illinois. His phone number is 708-236-2775. I hope this helps you! Please let me know how this turns out.

Brain Castle
Thanks for posting this advice.  It's been a life-saver for me. After living for a month in ICU while my dad was sick, and then the stress of the funeral and everything that went with it, I woke up one morning in severe pain and unable to move.  It was the first day of our trip to Florida and I didn't know how I'd get through it.  Looked for a doctor in Florida, and the ones I talked to said everyone gets back pain, call us once you've been in pain 4-6 weeks and then we'll look at it.  Meanwhile, I still couldn't walk without shooting pain going from my shoulder blade up to my neck and under my arm and across my chest.  I could barely move my head in any direction.  After reading your advice, I went looking for an LMT and found a great one.  She knew exactly what was wrong with me and got me moving again.  I did 2 treatments with her, and then found another one once we returned home.  While the pain isn't gone, it is greatly reduced and I can function again.  I'm doing the exercises she suggested as well.  Thanks again for your excellent posting.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.