Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Rib injury

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Rib injury

Hello, I fell nine days ago in my front yard backwards, downhill into our truck rearview mirror.  I hit hard.  I instantly had bruises on my lower left back rib cage.  It knocked the wind out of me.  I did not go to the doctor immediately.  I went two days later.  The pain had become to intense.  The doctor diagnosed me wtih torn rib cartilage and sprained ribs.
I was put on pain medication. Three days later I was feeling better and I was able to get out of bed on my own in the morning.  I got sick and I threw up that day, three times.  I knew that I had re-injured my ribs.  I went back to the doctor and I told him about a new symptom along with even more pain.  I could feel and hear a clicking in my ribs.  It was like they were rubbing together. Slipping in and out.  They did more x-rays but they never ever mentioned my clicking and rubbing symptom.  He gave me more pain medication and sent me away.  The clicking and rubbing is almost constant now. I have researched the symptoms of a dislocated rib and it sounds like that might be what I have but wouldn't that have shown up in the x-ray?  I can literally find the spot on my back rib and push it in and out.  Please help. I don't think that there is any pain associated with this.  Thank you. I am still in some pain so I do not know for sure.  I am practically off all pain meds now, just Motrin 800 and I have mild muscle discomfort. I can cough now but it still hurts, but I can cough without major pain.  Please let me know if you need anything else.
Tags: Lung, Pain, x-rays
Further imaging tests may need to be done.  A negative plain film would make a fracture less likely.  You can consider a chest CT scan to rule out other chest disorders, or a dislocation.  

If negative, treatment is conservative - including pain medications.  Physical therapy, or a pain management specialist, should also be considered as well.

You can discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
You have a class one 911 emergency, preferably at a teaching hospital and need to get to an emergency room that does not employ refugees from Ugana as diagnostic physicians. Good news is these things often eventually heal by themselves. Bad news is, if you puncture a lung (choose right or left) you develop either what is known as a pnemothorox (air in the lung) or hemothorox (blood in the lung). You then have about a half an hour to say good-bye to the wife and kids. X-rays rarely show injuries properly, often because the x-ray technicians also often get certifications by sending in boxtops. Portable x-rays are a waste of time because x-rays are short length and an portable machine had more vibrations that a fixed machine. The technique is often lousy, and many hishpitals (heavens to mergetroid!) don't have their x-ray machines properly certified and services. I used to take x-rays and have a fight at the hospital because they had an energy conservation mprogram going on and the hospital adminisrtator directed all machinery be shut off when not in use. This naturally included the x-ray developing machine. Of course optimal imaging takes place under a precise protocol of chemical concentration, time and temperature. With the machine off the temperature sensor went off-line and the temperature of the developing fluid went down. Also the hospital was cheap, and the x-ray supervisor never kept a log of the number of x-rays developed (the concentration of developer changes and yoiu need fresh solution or longer development times.) Anyways, you need good imaging, and much better treatment that you have been gettting. You have been getting the mushroom treatmewnt. Being kept in the dark and getting fed what mushrooms are fed.