Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Rib...broken? DIslocated? How do I know?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I took a bad hit a couple weeks ago in a football game, and it got better slowly.  But right before our game yesterday i was sitting in a chair, reached back to stretch, and something popped in the area where i had hurt myself.  After the pop it felt weird. More pressure than pain really, its very hard to explain.  But it is different since the pop than before.  THe muscles don't really even hurt anymore, it just feels weird and it hurts to throw (i play quarterback).  So I am realy confused about what is going on.  I didnt play yesterday out of fear that something was broken.  The xray was negative both before and after the popping yesterday.  It only did it once, but it was harder to breathe after that.  ANy help at all would be appreciated.  THe only medical attention i have available to me is the ER here in Austria... Thanks

Jordy
X-rays will sometimes show problems, an ordinary MRI almost always, and a 3T MRI about one hundred percent of the time. I am reluctant to suggest this, but my personal advice would be to consider that your career for the season is over. Usually these injuries heal themselves, unless exacerbated by inappropriate exercise. Historically, comfrey tea (known as bone tea by the Chinese) was used to treat these injuries, five cups a day,however I have no documentation as to the actual effectiveness of this solution.

If you can locate a good M.D. with a specialty in sports medicine they will be able to provide you with the best advice.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
A hairline rib fracture is often missed on X-rays. However this does not need elaborate treatment. In your case it looks like a rib separation. “A severe blow can cause a rib separation, in which the rib tears loose from the cartilage in the front.
You will feel severe pain, usually toward the front of the rib cage, and it will hurt to breathe. When you bend over or rotate your body, you may feel a “pop.” It will be particularly painful to go from a lying to a sitting position, so you may have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. If someone puts one hand on your back and the other on your breastbone and squeezes, you will feel tremendous pain.
The treatment is to use a rib belt. This is a strap of elastic, about eight inches wide, that goes around the rib cage. It stretches tight and closes in front. This compresses the rib cage so that it can’t expand too far. The belt holds the rib end in place until it heals and lessens the pain of everyday movements.
No matter how much you may want to, you can’t participate in sports when you have separated ribs. The resulting pain will be too much to allow you to continue. “ Refer: http://www.newsfinder.org/site/more/rib_injury_the_annoying_pain/
It would be best if you could consult a sports medicine specialist. However if that is not possible then see if you can get a belt to wear. Rest and anti inflammatory drugs should help.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!